Complete France Forum

Type A

PaulT

Trying to find a definitive list and have failed - even the book most quoted on here seemss to contradict at times.

I would therefore be grateful if some kind and knowledgeable soul would indicate wheter the following should be Type A or Type AC

Boiler

Fridge

Fridge Freezer

Freezer

Washing Machine

Tumble Dryer

Dishwasher

Hob (induction)

Oven

Jacquzie (sp?) bath

A/C unit

also anything that I have left off of the list that should be type A

Thanks

Paul

[quote user="P2"]

Trying to find a definitive list and have failed - even the book most quoted on here seemss to contradict at times.

I would therefore be grateful if some kind and knowledgeable soul would indicate wheter the following should be Type A or Type AC

Boiler

Fridge

Fridge Freezer

Freezer

Washing Machine

Tumble Dryer

Dishwasher

Hob (induction)

Oven

Jacquzie (sp?) bath

A/C unit

also anything that I have left off of the list that should be type A

Thanks

[/quote]

It's not really that straightforward, which is why you won't see a definitive list.

Type A MCBs are required for any circuit which may contain a DC component. A DC component is generated by cycle-switching controllers, that is in general anything with continuously variable input power. Type AC may only be used where the current has no DC component.

Type A will almost certainly apply to hobs and ovens, may possibly apply to washing machines, and is unlikely to apply to the rest of your list. The manufacturer's handbook should say whether a type A MCB is required.

Note, though, that type A can be used anywhere, whereas type AC are more restricted, so if in doubt fit type A. They're not even that much more expensive from the right places.

Thanks Tony

Now the manufacturers handbook - the items with the exception of the hob were left by the previous owners and no handbooks etc.

The property is over 100m2 and the 'fuseboard' 1 45 amp MCB plus 10 circuit breakers - not quite to regulations.

Yes, have purchased new fuseboard which my understanding for the size of the premises should have 3 Type AC and 1 Type A currently have 2 Type AC and 1 Type A to go in.

Just trying to get the elecs to fully comply from the very much non-compliance situation that we took over.

Paul

Archived