Complete France Forum

do conservatories need planning permission?

savoirflair

We asked at the Mairie and were told we'd need to complete a Declaration Prealable and wait for permission. We've also received the bill (one-off bill of about 220 euros) for increasing the floor space by 12 metres which is due to be paid 18 months after permission was granted. 

Any construction with a roof, over 2msq requires a permit  - so small porch, tiny garden shed or miniscule greenhouse might just not need one.

EDIT:  This should be 2 sq m not 2 m sq - just to show how small the area is before you have to make a declaration

Hi there [:)]

We put a consevatory in the style of a haute savoie house put on the side of our house.  The guy told us that so long as we build UNDER 20m2 we could get away with just a decleration de travail and not full planning.  I waited 1 month just the same.  Also, there is a new law, ask the guy who will fit your conservatory this.....I do not know the exact details but if the roof which overlaps your house is proportionate to the conservatory you build you can get away with 5.5% tax on it.  As your guy, some of you might say (wow, he's wrong there!) but I saw the law, we calculated according to our house, saved ourself a few thousand euros.

Hope this helps!

Archived