Complete France Forum

Phase v neutral, yet again

allanb

There seems to be agreement among people who are knowledgeable about electricity (and that doesn't include me) that the distinction between phase and neutral is sometimes important and should be observed, even though it may make no difference in some applications.

The other day I bought a wall socket to replace an old one that is crumbling.  It's a double socket of the type that looks a bit peculiar because the two parts are opposed, i.e. one is upside down, with the earth pin below rather than above the other two.  I didn't choose it for that reason, but only because it's an exact match (including size) for the old one, so I thought it would be easier to fit.  So it would be, but I have a question about it.

The four connection points on the back (other than the earth) are marked either 'L' or 'N',  which is fine, but the two Ls are on the same side, and the two Ns on the other.  This means that if I wire the socket accordingly, and then plug in two appliances that have been correctly wired, one of the plugs - being upside down - will have the phase and neutral reversed.

It's not a question of a misprint on a label: the Ls and Ns are clearly moulded in the plastic.

Is there a logical explanation?  Does it matter?

In the UK it matters because the MCB's in the consumer unit are simgle pole jobbies that work on the phase only, whereas the equivalent in a French tableau are two pole and work on both phase and neutral. But I must admit I like to keep the distinction and I only use the sort of double socket where you have to wire each socket separately and have phase on the right hand pin. Then I know where I am and it reduces the risk

The French Normes do indeed not distinguish between phase and neutral for wall sockets. That implies that the symbols on your socket are in fact incorrect (emphasised by the use of L and N, as opposed to the French P and N).

However, there is an unwritten standard which the more diligent electricians tend to use, and followed by all the illustrations in l'installation electrique, which is that when looking at the front of the socket, with the earth pin at the top, phase will be on the right.

Correct phase and neutral connection can be important when connecting certain items of equipment

For a lot of the boilers and equipment that I install it states in the installation manual that it is important to correctly connect the phase and neutral

I always check the socket for correct phase and neutral connections

Le Plombier

Archived