Complete France Forum

Replacement windows....permission or not?

tuppence

Hi,

I am hoping to replace my old (and rotting) wooden windows at the front of my house with UPVC windows. Primarily because as a single. female senior citizen I want to know that they will be around maintenance free for as long as I need them!! I am constantly arguing the case that I do NOT need permission from the Maire to do this. The previous owners of my house had actually replaced the old wooden shutters with pvc but left the wood windows (perhaps run short of cash).  My house is about 40 metres from the road, rear of a house in front of that with no windows and not overlooked at the back (fields). Not near a local monument and up a cul-de-sac of about 20 propeerties. Anybody help?

tuppence

In a very similar situation, I asked at the Mairie.  When I explained that I wasn't altering the size or adding new windows, merely replacing wooden with UPVC, after a brief discussion, the verdict was no permisson required.

I would definitely ask at the Mairie, not necessarily rely on my or anyone elses reply[;-)]

PS, if you make sure that they meet certain levels of insulation, and on the proviso you complete a tax declaration in France and they are supplied and fitted by the same company, you can get 40% of the cost of the new windows back, either as a reduction in your tax or a cheque[:D]

thanks Clair that's what I thought too.

Maricopa, I think there is slightly more to your response than you indicated. Having read a post somewhere else I think the criteria to get tax refunds has other implications. Having said that, it is far too costly to have the suppliers fit them for me as there are only 3 to do and the fitting is 3 times the cost of the windows. Where are Safestyle when you want them, you know the one "you buy one, you get one free"!!!!!![:)]

tuppence

[quote user="tuppence"]Maricopa, I think there is slightly more to your response than you indicated. Having read a post somewhere else I think the criteria to get tax refunds has other implications. Having said that, it is far too costly to have the suppliers fit them for me as there are only 3 to do and the fitting is 3 times the cost of the windows. tuppence[/quote]

I would like to know what you mean by other implications?  Everything I posted is a fact.  However, as you are going to fit them yourselves, it's neither here or there.

I am glad my Mairie thinks the same as you and Clair[:-))]

Hi Maricopa,

I'm sorry if I sounded ungrateful for you post, never intended to! But I am fairly certain that income has  something to do with getting tax relief on items such as windows, woodburners etc. Ofcourse someone may say otherwise but I am sure I read it (whether it was on this forum or others). But as you said, it would probably depend on the vendors fitting them for me which I am not prepared to pay for, much too expensive. Several quotes coming in as we speak from local artisans.

tuppence

[quote user="tuppence"]Hi Maricopa,

I'm sorry if I sounded ungrateful for you post, never intended to! But I am fairly certain that income has  something to do with getting tax relief on items such as windows, woodburners etc. [/quote]

Just to clarify, I was writing from experience.  We declare our income in France, but don't pay tax (miltary pension).  We had a 40% refund of the cost of the windows (not fitting) in the form of a cheque, very gratefully received I might add!

Maricopa wrote:-

Just to clarify, I was writing from experience.  We declare our income in France, but don't pay tax (miltary pension).  We had a 40% refund of the cost of the windows (not fitting) in the form of a cheque, very gratefully received I might add!

I have only recently found out that I can claim mortgage relief but I will certainly have a try re: windows as I too declare my income in tax but pay very little tax (UK annuity and basic state pensions).

Thanks very much for your help, hope you didn't spend it all at once[8-|]

tuppence

Archived