Complete France Forum

Electrics

nemltd

Dare I pose an electrical question? Here goes................We have asked for a quote for replacing switches and sockets and were surprised at 120.00 euros to replace a 'simple allumage'. I'm hoping this is not just to unsrew one old switch and screw in the new, the 'interrupteur' costs about 5.00 euros. The house was built in 1968, do you think there maybe more to it, new regs or the like? He has also quoted to renew the breakers and consumer unit and something to do with 'edf' (1 alimentation depuit le disjoncteur edf et commende jn).

[:)]

Switches are (or should be) a bit more than 5€, but they are easy to change - provided the back boxes are standard. However, at 40+ years old, your wiring could be past its sell-by date, so you should consider a complete rewire anyway. Without seeing the state of the wiring behind the switches, it is difficult to judge if his quote is reasonable; Have you considered getting another quote?

The other thing he is quoting on looks like a day/night contactor for the hot water, although someones French is a little innacurate, I suspect....

Archived