Complete France Forum

Taxe Locale d'Equipement (T.L.E.) et taxe assimilées?

DaveH

Hi Everyone,

I have recently received a demand from the DDE (Poitiers), dated Feb 2009, for over a thousand euros.

After receiving oxygen therapy I was eventually fit enough to read all the letter and try to understand.........

The demand is titled:- Taxe Locale d'Equipement (T.L.E) et taxe assimilées. The monies owing are divided into two payments Oct 2009 and Apr 2011. The demand mentions my Permis de Constuire number twice on the form (I received my Permis back in Apr 2008).

The demand arrived with a photocopy of explanatory notes - in french - which make little or no sense.

I have no idea about this tax. I have looked on the internet and haven't found any information I can understand.

Please can someone explain what this tax is for. Many thanx in advance.

Many Thanx......  I have read the translated pages but I am still not sure what it's all about.

Does everyone who receives a Permis de Construire have to pay this tax...... and....... can I expect another request for money in the future?

Have any other members of the forum fallen foul of this tax and what was the outcome?

Is it possible the nice man at the mairie might know all about TLE - he seems to be the font of all knowlwdge.

Only thing there is .......he speaks so fast...... and I get more and more confused!!

Anyone who adds habitable space, whether by new build or conversion, is liable to this bundle of taxes.

There is a national tariff for each square metre of space that you add. This determines the value of the space. The local commune then charges you a percentage of this value , typically 2 or 3%.

This is a one off charge, though it is usually collected in two lumps. The first part is 12/18 months after the permission was granted, the second half a similar period later.

Though everyone has to pay it's amazing how many people, including the French are surprised when the bill arrives!

The theory is that its a contribution towards the local infrastructure necessitated by the additional residents moving into an area. IE Its just another tax!

I'm always correcting people when they say how wonderful the French system is because you don't have to pay an application fee for your Permis de Construire.  It is not public knowledge that you have to pay afterwards.  So sorry to hear that you are yet another person surprised by this cost.

Lynda

Many thanx everyone. This forum is awesome!

Your replies have explained a tax I didn't even know existed.

I am presuming I am not the only one who has been suprised by the TLE demand.

Do you know if there are any more 'unheard of taxes' to arrive at some later date?

Keep up the great work ..........

I think that you should  be pretty okay from no on.  I know that it can be a bit of a shock, but if you look on it like you paying you way to have rights in the community, such as fire, police, heritage conservation, maire, etc.... then it somehow lightens the blow somewhat.

Lynda

• 1 month later...

Archived