Complete France Forum

Finding trades in France

mattjazz

I have a website address for a site helping you find trades in France. I've used it a few times with great success and wondered if it would be O.K to post it on here, I don't want to get moderated or anything so thought I'd just check.

These sites may be good for clients but not good for artisans

They seek to put as many artisans up to tender as they can find, most of them aim for 5 artisans minimum

With the cost of a site visit, design, material take off and production of an estimate this service is not very attractive to an artisan

Some of these sites, of which there are many, both in French and English, are struggling to get artisans to subscribe

One, which I will not name, has given up trying to charge artisans an annual fee and now offers enquiries on an individual one off charge basis

I am swamped with emails offering the opportunity to tender for jobs in my area for free, because they cannot find enough artisans to tender for the work

The best way to find an artisan is to ask around for recommendation, check insurances and qualifications, talk to previous clients and go and look at their work

Le Plombier

[quote user="Le Plombier"]

These sites may be good for clients but not good for artisans

They seek to put as many artisans up to tender as they can find, most of them aim for 5 artisans minimum

With the cost of a site visit, design, material take off and production of an estimate this service is not very attractive to an artisan

Some of these sites, of which there are many, both in French and English, are struggling to get artisans to subscribe

One, which I will not name, has given up trying to charge artisans an annual fee and now offers enquiries on an individual one off charge basis

I am swamped with emails offering the opportunity to tender for jobs in my area for free, because they cannot find enough artisans to tender for the work

The best way to find an artisan is to ask around for

recommendation, check insurances and qualifications, talk to previous

clients and go and look at their work
T

Le Plombier

[/quote]

Sound advice, however, in the real world  this would add another few months before a blow is struck!

I suspect that as you have placed the same advertising on the other French forum, that the site may be something to do with you.

I cannot understand why someone would not get a tradesman from the yellow pages rather than a website that must make money from either the tradesman or the client. Who ends up paying for this "service"?

I subscribe (as an Artisan) to this site and, the notifications are a little sporadic - I haven't seen one for a couple of weeks. There is never enough info in the request to tender for me to ascertain if it is worth paying teh few € for the whole dossier. Still, it costs nothing to look.

"I suspect that as you have placed the same advertising on the other French forum, that the site may be something to do with you."

No, nothing to do with me, as I said, I've used it a few times with much success and thought it maybe useful to others.

I agree that yellow pages, local knowledge and local companys are the preferred route, but having also tried that route and ending up waiting for people to not turn up or turn up and think I'm some kind of English millionaire and wouldn't mind being ripped off, I don't see the harm in casting my net further.

As for the site, I always contact the artisans directly and not put a general enquiry up, and yes I contact French as well as English.

Also Bob T, if you had a problem with me "advertising" this site, why didn't you say when I asked the question earlier?

From the Code of Conduct :

" Please do not advertise or post your personal details, products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed"

Third party recommendations are allowed, but I have to say mattjazz, third party recommendations rarely come out the blue, so it isn't surprising that there is a certain amount of suspicion

The reason I posted this site is through no personal gain what so ever. I have P.M'd a few people this site address when they appear to have had no success on the forums. Each time I have received very positive feedback and that coupled with my own experience, thought it would be useful to others.

As I have said, if there was a problem with me posting this site why did nobody inform me.

I also find it quite sad that people are very quick to judge when all one is doing is trying to help, I guess that is just a sign of the times, sad none the less.

Archived