Complete France Forum

Repairing the base of wooden barn supprt

oldgit72

Like many Barns in France, the roof structure of mine is partially supported by several large upright wooden columns. One of these has started to deteriorate at it's base and I am wondering how to renovate it. The deterioration has been caused by the base coming into contact with dampness as it sits directly on the earth floor. My initial thoughts revolve around cutting out the rotted wood and replacing with a cement/steel reinforced section which I would then extend to form a surrounding block extending about20cm around the entire base on the column. Has anyone had experience of a similar problem and if so, how did you deal with it?

We do this pretty often in on of our sheds. The wooden supports have been rotted at the bases due to years of cow piss. We drill two holes into the floor (concete floor in our case) either side of the post, and set some hefty steel bar into cement in these holes. Then cut out the rotten section and wedge a new bit of wood into place. The steel bars are then screwed to the new bit of wood and the remaining good wood, forming two splints.

Archived