Complete France Forum

gravel for fosse septique - drain field

nijntje

Hello,

We are going to put in a complete new fosse toutes eaux system. We are thinking about a 10.000 liter fosse for the gites. I have never come across one really, I have seen 3000 and 4000 liter ones at Brico depot etc for about 450 to 850 euros. Where could we buy a bigger one and what would the cost be?

(I know Spanc will tell us ow big it should be etc...) we will be installing it ourselves.

Next problem, as we will need a lot of gravel for the drain field, where can you buy this stuff and how much does it cost? It would also have to be delivered of course...

Are there any stores where you can just buy the whole package together and will deliver it to us?

Any experience or advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Inge

Don't know about a 10k one but I have seen places with two 3k tanks. Perhaps you could have three 3k; not at all sure.

But what I thought I'd pass on is that the drain field needs special geotextile stuff and not "bog" (ha ha) standard gravel.

I believe it's similar to the stuff you put down when you construct a green on a golf course.

If you're lucky, Pachapapa will notice your post and come on and tell you what's what.

But, Good Luck with your construction!

For big fosses try somewhere like frans bonhomme or pum plastiques. If they do 10000litre tanks dont expect them to be cheap. Think at least 4k but maybe a lot more. Speak to spanc, maybe 3 3000litre tanks could share an epandage. They're usually quite helpful. Also only certain types of sand and gravel are acceptable. They will gladly tell you which. Its their job.

Thank you for your response!

I have had a look at those websites, and it seems that the big fosses are extremely expensive! 

so I am now thinking of doing multiple smaller ones next to each other, hopefully with just 1 big drain field.

We do have a lot of land and there is a large flat area close to all the buildings that would be perfect (in my opinion)!

So what is the next step for us if we want to go ahead with this? Do I need to contact Spanc or the Mairie?

Do they have to come and check the location for the tank etc? How does this work? How long will it take etc? (I have checked Spanc.fr but did not get any wiser from that)

We are located in central Brittany, any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Inge

Go and see spanc or a bureau d'etude first. Take a copy of cadastral survey. I think in your situation I'd try for 3 x 3000 litres and one big epandage. But I've never heard of that being done so its up to spanc to say what is acceptable. Mairie will probably just tell you they're not qualified and to see spanc but its good to keep the mairie informed of what you're planning.

Gravel distribution and collection pipes are placed in washed graded gravel; the middle layer is sand again washed and graded. A silica sand will be required for hardness and durability.

In principle a multiple FTE system connected to a large filter is OK but you may find problems with the maximum EH ( 20 persons) and the 1.2 Kg/J DBO-5 limits.

Your first point of contact is the mairie of your Commune but if it is a small commune it is probable that they will be associated for SPANC purposes with one or more Communes.

Les obligations des communes

Les compétences des communes sont exercées par le SPANC qui peut

avoir un mode de gestion différent d’une commune à l’autre.

Ce dernier peut être géré en régie ou par délégation ; il peut transférer

ses compétences à un établissement public intercommunal ou à un

syndicat mixte. C’est pourquoi le SPANC peut être représenté parfois par

une entreprise privée.

hi ok

Just a few pointers ... who has said you need a 10,000ltr fosse ??? that's big enough for 23 -24 people

Have you done a peculation test to see if you need a sand filter ?

you can install 2 tanks but they have to be 1/3 rd    2/3 rd  split  so you might get away with a 3000 ltr and a 6000ltr 

with a 75 m3 sand filter    ...that's 90 tonne of 0-4 sand alone without the gravel   @  26 €   a tonne  plus delivery .....sing baby sing the world is getting better >>>

Dave

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/Pdr_0054.jpg[/IMG]

Hi and thanks for the answers :)

I assume we will need a 10000 liter fosse....have done some searching online and that is about what we would need.

This would be for 4 gites:

1 - 1 bedroom cottage

2 - 2 bedroom gites

1 - 3 bedroom gite

So a total of 8 double bedrooms, 16 people.

Not sure what I need for a fosse, but I am sure it is a big one!

What do you mean, "do you need a sand filter"? Are there any other (cheaper/better) options?

The land is 20.000m2 and fairly flat and not rocky.

We will be doing all the work ourselves, including the fosse system! We will have our own digger and we can do plumbing, no problem.

we are just not familiar with all the sand and gravel stuff. I have seen lots of drawings online, but I am sure each site is different and it has to be correctly done.

cant wait to get started!

Archived