Complete France Forum

Concrete for underfloor heating

gyn_paul

• 2 weeks later...

We couldn't get anyone to pre-mix and deliver a 5:1 dry load on a truck (it would have been too dry to go in a pre-mix mixer), so in the end we hand-mixed on site.

It took 25 tons of sand, about 96 bags of cement, 5 bags of fibreglass strands, 80 sq m of grillage (upstairs) 2 x cement mixers, 10 buckets, 2 wheel-barrows, 5 men, and a lot of tea.  It was a  r-e-a-l-l-y  dry mix which was easy to screed level (it was prepped with joints de dilation - I highly recommend these) but a buggar to mix.

It's between 85 and 100mm up top (60 sq m), and about 100mm downstairs (more like 50 sq m: there's lots more stone walls).

It took a day for each floor and we are well and truly knackered.

Be able to walk on it soon!

p

Judging by the temperatures today, I'm wondering how viable it is to circulate the underfloor heating via a heat exchanger in the well. Having the floor at a deliciously cool 8C  is a wonderful prospect, but I 'spect I'm just inviting a condensation problem!

p

In my newly insulated attic it's 28C (admittedly, that's with the windows open so I probably let a lot of hot air in) meanwhile under the black slates the sensor recorded a temperature of 69.4C ! Obviously good stuff that silver foil.

Next time I have a little pot of money I'm stripping those black tiles off and swopping them for red PV13's.

Be a bit careful as to how cool you take the floor. We were warned when we were looking at geothermal and cool summer stuff that to take the floor temp down more that a few degrees than the outside air temp would cause condensation on it!!

Archived