Complete France Forum

Advice on taking a shotgun to France, please

Husband owns two shotguns, both legally registered and kept, and we want to bring them over to France to use on our own land here.  Does anyone know what the regulations are ... both for taking the guns out of England (assume we have to inform the police there) and for bringing them into France and registering them here.  I don't have enough French to ask our mairie but assume I would have to tell them or register with the gendarmes here.  Does one need to purchase a licence in France?  Any advice or information will be much appreciated.  Thanks.

I don't know about bringing the guns in but I do know that you are not allowed to use them - even on your own land - without a permit.  Not for anything.  You are also unable to buy any ammunition for them without a permit.

You get a permit by going to your local Association de Chasse and taking both a theory test and a practical test.  The theory is hard work, especially if your French is not good!  Plenty of French fail it first time and many of our friends were astounded that my husband passed his first time.  You have to learn the breeding seasons of each bird listed, the number of eggs they lay on average, the hunting seasons for the different birds/animals.  Basically when you apply they give you a book and you learn it off by heart!

The practical is more straightforward - it's to do with gun safety mostly but is also full of little traps:  ie one person was failed because he turned up in trainers...unsuitable footware;  another because he fired towards a building.

Good luck.

We bought ours over years ago now and at that time we took it to the gendarmerie who were only interested in registering high powered rifles and pump action guns,certainly not interested in a dull boring old 12bore which we had a licence for years for in the UK but have never used it due to it needing a good service etc and it is a old family heirloom as well. You can only use them as stated with a permit after taking a test and considering the number of fatalities in France over the years through stupidity and drunkeness its a good job.

Hi

Hope you have sorted problem out - unable to post as fault in system until today.

OH had  International firearms licence in UK (fairly easily obtained through your local police) which enabled him to take guns out of UK and into France.  Declare them to ferry company of course.

In France join a gun club (clay shooting) and then you are covered by insurance and are "legal". Our clay shooting club is excellent, very well run and very friendly.  It operates only when the game shooting season is closed.  There is also an excellent rifle shooting club nearby.

The answer concerning shooting game of any kind even on your own land is correct and you certainly have to pass quite a stiff exam in French before you are allowed to game shoot, and that is also rigidly controlled now.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Wendy

Archived