Complete France Forum

Painting shutters

allanb

I have a house with old brown wooden shutters, mostly in bad condition.  Some of them are beyond repair and I've replaced them with "new" ones, i.e. made with new wood, but using the original hardware.

I used an undercoat and then two coats of paint, all described as being for bois extérieur.  The paint is water-based - at least, I assume it is, since it cleans up with water.

After a couple of years, the paint has started to flake off all the "new" shutters that face south.  We are in Aquitaine so the sun is admittedly quite powerful, but is this normal?  It doesn't bother me to do a bit of repainting, but I plan to replace some of the others, and I'd like to know whether I should be using a different kind of paint.

Thanks in advance for any advice.  

Sorry I cannot comment on whether this is normal or not; I can only relate that 5 years on, the renovated shutters we painted with  V33 paint look almost as good as they did on day 1.

We used their Extreme Climate range, as we face south/south-west and the temp can go quite high.

The only prep was a thorough clean and light sanding before the paint was applied.

I painted my shutters last year with top quality oil based paint before it was banned. I reckon that will last 5+ years (time will tell) but on the basis that water based doesn't last or cover anywhere near as well as oil based then the EU bureaucrats have got it wrong again as the re-painting will mean more low VOC's paints are being used more often. (good for business but bad for the end user).

EDIT: Clair's paint is also solvent based, starting to see a pattern, waterbased is good for children's art classes but solvent based is what you need.

Archived