Complete France Forum

Clapiere - how to dismantle

Sydney and Huggy

Should this be in here or the 'pets' forum??

We have a row of about 10 double decked clapiere that were in the lean to wagon shed when we bought the house.  They hadn't been used for a couple of years before we arrived and appear to have been there a long time.  We have no intention of breeding rabbits, tasty as they are.

We now need the space - suspect they are going to be quite heavy and awkward - but there's no immediately obvious way of taking them to pieces.  Reluctant to smash them up, probably got some form of rebar in them anyway, and would rather dismantle.

Anybody got any hints for how to go about it?[8-)]

(We are near Souvigny/Moulins area in the Allier, and if anyone can use them then they will go free [:)] to a good home, just PM us.)

Clapiers were built to last on-site and not be dismantled for sale on Ebay. Am afraid but there is little chance they were built with re-sale in mind. Having had a great-gran-mother breeding rabbits for meat and fur (i used to be in charge of cleaning!!!) the best way is to attach to a car with rope and pull (or use a heavy mass to bring it down). Burn it all or vermin might set in.

Eric, there was never any intention to put them on ebay or to sell them on anywhere. We just need them out of the way to use the space. 

As they are made of concrete I feel burning them may be a bit difficult,

If they were to come apart and nobody wanted them (free) then I would consider bedding them in sand under the lean to to park the car on.

They should dismantle from the top down - remove the metal grills off the front first - they are as heavy as ****. I had a full row of them in one of our barns, about 40 in all. I advertised them in the local supermarket (free - to collect). One little French girl rang to ask if she could have one for her pet! I got rid of the whole lot to the tip - a few days later I had 3 phone calls asking if we still had them!

Archived