Complete France Forum

Vitogaz - 2070litre tank. On average how long should this last?

Fourbarewalls

Had our gas tank filled last December by Vitogaz. Just found out the the tank is empty. We have only used it over 10 days last christmas and then left the underfloor heating on 1 degree during the worst of the winter to avoid any frost damage. Is it usual for the gas to go so quickly?

How long should a 2000 litre gaz tank last on average?

My tank is from Primagaz but essentially the same thing as yours.

Mine is a residence secondaire but I get there at least 2 weekends a month plus longer stays in summer and Christmas. I'm in the Pas-de-Calais so although it can get cold it's mostly not too bad at around 5 deg in winter   My gas is used for cooking, hot water and central heating (rads not underfloor) with a reliable but not exactly state-of-the-art Duval boiler.  I try hard not to use it for heating as it guzzels gas preferring to rely instead on 2 woodburners, this is OK as  I have a LOT of wood.  I mention all this so you can compare your usage to mine.

I just had my tank topped up with 1100 lires gas.  I did swoon a bit when I got the bill and checked against the last one.  Not surprisingly the price has gone up a lot but what did surprise me was that it was 4 years ago that I last needed gas.

If you're using lots more than me it might be worth getting your system checked out.

It certainly seems you should question that FBW.

We live here permanently, use gas for central heating, hot water and cooking, and have used 75¨% of the contents since Jan.which is ? 1500litres? I think we are extravagant and the cost is very high.

We were told never to let it go below 25% and they never fill it more than 85% . (Antargaz.)

I didn't know about the lower limit, I'm sure I've gone much lower than that.  They do only fill the tanks to around 85% as there has to be a space for the gas to, well, gasify.  It wouldn't be much good if liquid came down the pipe into your cooker!

With Primagaz they will come and do a safety check for free you just have to ring and  arrange an appointment .  I also have to have a biannual mandatory inspection and the engineer was very thorough.  I don't know what your gas suppliers offer but I expect it's similar.  After all, it's in their own interests for you to be safe.  It wouldn't look good if you heard about gas tanks going BOOM would it?

Archived