Complete France Forum

Fosse septique query

Jenkin

We had the fosse emptied two years ago and were not living permanently in the house. Now we are permanently installed and have noticed for the first time that there is a small boggy patch at the bottom of the garden at the end of the fosse pipe. The pipe run downhill from the

fosse in zig zags and I had assumed that the water would all drain off through the holes before it got to the end of the pipe.

Is this wet ground normal? we did not install the fosse ourselves but it is only a few years old.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

The boggy patch ideally shouldn't be there, but if it doesn't smell why not just plant some moisture-loving plants?

If it's smelly you should do something about it.

Whether the water successfully disappears into the subsoil or not will depend on what kind of soil you have, as well as on the quality of the installation. And I'd say that if the outlet pipe runs steeply downhill, you're more likely to get the wet patch at the end, however many zigzags there are.

I don't think the wet patch will have much to do with how often you empty the septic tank, though if it had not been emptied for a long time before you had it done two years ago, it is possible that sludge from the tank has entered the outlet pipe and reduced its efficiency in draining away the outflow.

Thank you Araucaria

The slope is pretty steep and the soil is of a clay type so this may reduce the efficiency. it doesn't smell now so I hope that doesn't change in the summer. Yes, I think plants/rushes would be a great idea.

If you have the space, how about a willow tree?  Dead easy to grow, all you need is any old bit of a willow tree (excepting possibly a cricket bat) about the size of your arm and whack it into the ground.  It will soon be growing and will love wet ground.

Archived