Complete France Forum

Heures Creuses problem (again)

Chrissie

My Heures Creuses has suddenly refused to "trip" over at 10.30pm - the same problem that Martin had in 2008.  We use it for chauffe-eau, washing machine and dishwasher, each of which can be manually switched into operation but of course they are all now using the daytime tariff.

I have read Martin's post and all the replies, but a lot of it (actually almost all of it) is too high-tech for me.  The little panel at the foot of the main meter is closed with an EDF seal, but the relay box in the corridor is get-at-able.  Inside, this is what it looks like:

[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/chrissie_081/fusebox.jpg[/IMG]

The water heater and washing machine switches are the two in the middle of the bottom row.  (The dishwasher override is in a different relay box upstairs.)  I wondered if the three little grey switches in the top right hand corner would have anything to do with it - they are all in the downward "Off" position.......

And no, I don't want a BOOM!............

Chrissie (81)

I'm not sure what those three little grey 'uns top right are,  they aren't like ours.

Anyway,   in our case (and this is the first thing to check) we still were able to enjoy the lower tariff,   it was simply that the chauffe-eau didn't come on at 22.30 by itself because the relay didn't go from white to red in that little window you can see.    You should be able to check on your meter whether that's the case,   read the HC figure at 22.30 and then check it again at 23.30 (having switched on the heater manually) and check that the HC figure has increased and that the HP figure has stayed the same.     We just had to operate the relay manually until we sorted it out.

It's odd that all three of your "things" aren't switching over though,   and that make me wonder if something in the meter/signalling system to the relays has failed.   Without looking at ours I can't remember how it's wired (I'm in the wrong country at the moment!) but I think a special line from the meter goes live during the HC,  and that feeds into a special input on the relays via a fuse.

Normally a faulty meter defaults to HC (normally!) so one should get the better tariff if the problem is EDFs.

Without being there with a meter.

Not being patronising,   but don't fiddle unless you feel confident.     Maybe others will know of a reliable set of tests to pinpoint the problem.

Looking again it appears that the left hand relay has a white window even though the switch is at "1" which I don't think should be the case,   but again without ours to check with.....

Blimey - those were quick replies!!

Firstly the HC meter is definitely not turning, either at night or during forced operations during the day.

I already have a call out to EDF on a different matter - main cable coming into the house needs replacing, apparently, (never rains but it pours), still waiting after four days, and also one in to our electrician who I suspect is taking a holiday as he is normally quick to respond to my cries for help.

Don't worry, I am not a finger-poker!  Even jump-starting a car gives me night terrors.

Chrissie (81)

I think the three little grey switches in the top right are relays, possibly for lights that can be turned on and off from two different switches. Get someone to stand by the board and look/listen, then try switching on and off any light that has two separate switches.

They certainly look like the ones we have that do this. You can usually hear tham operating from some way away.

But I know nothing about heures creuses I'm afraid.....

Archived