Complete France Forum

Cooker hood.. ?

joidevie

Hi all..

We're just plastering our kitchen and are considering installing a cooker hood..

We anticipated this, and I put some 2.5mm gaigne in the wall running from the hood location running down to one of the twin sockets above the work surface. We already have 3 double 'prises' (6 single max allowed as I understand it).. Question(s):

- If I intend to power the hood from this circuit, do I need to fit a plug to the hood and 'plug it in' to one of the sockets externally"?

- Is there any "allowed/practical" way of branching into this socket/circuit from behind? (ie. hidden)

- There is a lighting circuit nearby also, can this be branched into instead?

Many thanks for any insights...

[quote user="joidevie"]

- If I intend to power the hood from this circuit, do I need to fit a plug to the hood and 'plug it in' to one of the sockets externally"?

probably not a good idea (or conforming to 'norms')

- Is there any "allowed/practical" way of branching into this socket/circuit from behind? (ie. hidden)

don't know about that, sorry

- There is a lighting circuit nearby also, can this be branched into instead?

I understand you cannot mix power and light

Many thanks for any insights...

[/quote]

The maximum number of sockets is 8 per disjointer on 2.5 mm. The hood will normally come with a two pin and earth plug attached. You could use a permanent cable connector which are thinner than a socket. The plug/connector is normally lost behind the chimney section of the hood. I would offset it either to the left or the right of the centre line as otherwise it can foul the tube. The socket / connector probably needs to be above 1.95 metres to clear the hood itself. Check the hood before installing the socket/connector. The lighting circuit should not be used.

Normally sockets should not be immediately above stoves but the is a dispensation for hoods.

[quote user="Anton Redman II"]The maximum number of sockets is 8 per disjointer on 2.5 mm. The hood will normally come with a two pin and earth plug attached. You could use a permanent cable connector which are thinner than a socket. The plug/connector is normally lost behind the chimney section of the hood. I would offset it either to the left or the right of the centre line as otherwise it can foul the tube. The socket / connector probably needs to be above 1.95 metres to clear the hood itself. Check the hood before installing the socket/connector. The lighting circuit should not be used.

Normally sockets should not be immediately above stoves but the is a dispensation for hoods.[/quote]

Now I remember :-) The socket is in the chimney

Hi,

Your comment about ...'We already have 3 double 'prises' (6 single max allowed as I understand it)'....is a bit confusing, reading L'installation electrique in the 'comme un pro' series indicates on page 213, figure 155 that a double is classed as the equivalent to a single, also (page 197, figure 144) indicates that NF C 15-100 allows 8 points of utilisation with a 2.5mm2 conductor and a 20A disjoncteur (or 16 fusible).

My interpretation of that is that 8 x double socket outlets are allowed per circuit.

My interpretaion of the installation guide is that you will require a special circuit for the cooker hood, being 2.5mm2 conductor with a 20A disjoncteur. There is no way you should think about branching into a lighting circuit.

Glad you remembered, I was beginning to wonder how you would connect it, not many options left short of hard wiring back to the fuse board [:)]

EDIT: not that I am disagreeing Powerdesal but a cooker hood, max 80 watts into a fuse or disjoncteur 20 amp even if the motor seized solid I doubt enough it would ever trip. UK wise the old fusable connector 3amp is the normal. 

Seems my understanding of the prises quantities is incorrect, and a double is one, but a triple or quadruple is 2..

So, the most correct way to spur in the cooker hood would be to feed the 2.5mm running to the unit into the the inside of nearest prise 'boite', cut into each of the red/blue/green & yellow cables running into (or out of) the prise itself, then join each cable together in turn using small "bornes automatiques" (cable connectors), and carefully tuck all of this back into the 'boite d'encastrement' and screw the prise cover back on? Have I got this right?

And any recommendation/suggestion as to whether to use a 'sortie de cable' for the hotte or a single prise? (I haven't bought it yet, so I'm guessing if it comes with a plug attached, this could be a clue!?)

Many thanks again, and Happy Easter..

Archived