Complete France Forum

holiday home in brittany

Hi all,  this is my first visit to this site , i`m sure i will be back for more of your experienced advice...

My wife & myself have decided to search for, & buy a holiday home in Brittany ,after many wonderful holidays there..

Can anyone tell me if there is a time limit that you can spend in France,without being a resident..We would be looking at spending a lot of time there to begin with, ,perhaps up to a year !

thanks & happy new year 

Until the carte de séjour was stopped due to the EU stuff you could only stay officially here for three months before you had to apply for residency. Now, it is not so important except to the UK tax authorities who deem if you spend more than 180 days out of the UK you are no longer a UK resident so bear that in mind. Also the question of your UK vehicle where insurance and green card cover is concerned as there used to be a minimum stay in one go plus the question of health insurance as well if you take out a UK policy. However, at the end of the day,who is to know where you are unless you leave a trail behind you so perhaps you should just keep quiet and do your thing!!

Archived