Complete France Forum

Old tomette floor

bonnie

The upstairs of my house has tomettes laid on lime mortar and sand, and a few tiles were loose, particularly in the hallway.  Under the lime and sand is wood, not planks but roughly flattened pieces of different sizes.  I believe this is quite common in French country houses built in the 1800s.  I have removed the tiles and the lime mortar, and want to re-lay them using the same materials.  I don't want to use thinset or tile mastic.  The layer of sand is very thin and I can't figure out why its there.  It doesn't seem thick enough for leveling.  It basically creates a floating floor of tomettes and lime. Has anyone out there repaired or relaid this kind of floor?  My three questions are:  Do I need to use the sand underlayment?  What consistency should the mortar be?  Do the tiles need to be dampened before laying so they don't suck all the water out of the mortar?  I have laid tile floors in the past using conventional thinset, and have also worked a little with lime mortar.  Thanks for any help that might be out there.

bonnie in the herault

• 2 weeks later...

Archived