Complete France Forum

Taking over a new house

In our case,in 2002,we contacted EDF before we moved in on completion.However ensure you take the readings,as we did and both us and the previous owner signed a self declaration.Same as water,and or any other metered service you may have.   Maude

I take it that the house is existing and you aren't buying a new house?

If so and you've bought it through an agent then ask them to do the transfer for you as well as giving a final reading for the outgoing owner.

If you've bought it privately then ask the existing owners to do this for you; they'll be keen to get a final bill sent to their new address so it shouldn't be a hardship for them.

Although there are other ways of paying the simplest way is to give your bank account details to either of them and ask them to pass them on to EDF. You may need to visit EDF at a later date to decide what method of payment you want i e 12 equal monthly ones or on as used basis.

If your situation is any more complicated than this then post again.

Edit Maude types faster than I do[:)]

Well the previous owners should advise the electricity board and give them a final reading.  They probably have done this, otherwise they are liable for all the service charge which is charged in advance.  Odd that the agent hasn't done this.  However, we have just taken over a house and I rang the electricity board and gave them the reading plus our new details.  They hadn't heard from the previous owners (strange) but just accepted what we said, asked for our bank details, and I got the first bill a few days ago.  We pay by prelevement, that's direct debit, as and when every bill comes in as I find it much easier to monitor our usage but that's just personal preference.  You can also register to view your bills online at EDF.

Archived