Complete France Forum

Water marks on wood staircase

Jay

I have a chestnut staircase which I am about to treat with Danish oil. Unfortunately a couple of the stair treads have water stains from the base of a bucket which I used to clean walls before decorating, it was just tap water and a little washing up liquid. The marks have been there a while and have not dried out as I thought they might. My question is can I get rid of the water marks without sanding down the stairs and if so how?

Depending on the darkness of the wood, you could try rubbing with cigarette ash (lighter colour) or a sliced open brazil nut (darker colour).  Neither will do any harm at any rate.

There are also "ring removers" available in UK, but I haven't noticed them here.

Chrissie (81)

My mother brought me a jam-jarful when I had a similar problem, as neither of us had smoked for years.  Turned out she had gone round to the local pub and emptied out the ashtrays!  Wonder what they thought.  Not an option now........

Chrissie (81)

Jay, I had a similar problem on a chestnut floor where I had left a wet bucket (rats, no-one else to blame... but I tried! [Www]).

I had to sand the areas. The stain hadn't penetrated very far as the wood is fairy hard EDIT (fairy hard? FAIRLY hard!) so the stain came out fairly easily. I then treated the floor with a lightly tinted vitrificateur.

Archived