Complete France Forum

Gas bottle holder

Chrissie

I've just been going through the old threads on butane and propane bottles for a gas hob.  We intend to get the small fat propane bottles and keep them outisde the kitchen wall (don't worry, it will be an official plumber doing the job.)  The problem is that the only place for the bottles to go is on the terrace and I don't think they are very attractive, so I've been casting about to see if there are purpose-built cupboards for holding the gas bottles and hiding them from view.  No joy so far.  Surely everyone can't build their own?  And is it acceptable to keep the bottles neatly closed in or do they have to be open to the air?

Chrissie (81)

Chrissie

just one comment.  If you use butane and store outside, you will get little or no gas during the winter, because the bottle temperatures will be too low.  This means you will need to use propane, which in turn means you will need to ensure that any abri is properly ventilated - something to check when scouting for your store. 

Hi Chrissie.

We had the same problem with the gas bottles. I bought some criss-cross trellis and made a small frame about 4 feet high to cover the bottles. We planted a vine to the side of it and trained the vine to grow into the trellis. The flexibility of the vine allows the frame to be moved to allow the bottles to be changed. The vine looks like a feature on the patio through the summer and the bare frame hiding the trellis still looks O.K. when the leaves have fallen.

Archived