Complete France Forum

Replacing slate roof with tiles

frexpt

Our plans for next year are to convert our 2nd floor grenier to usable accommodation and put in a number of velux windows.  The house is presently roofed with slate, which I am assured in in reasonably good order.  However, we do have a few drips and we did lose a few slates last winter.  Looking at the crest from inside the grenier, there is a bit too much "mousse expansive" in evidence for my liking.

Anyway, given the amount of upgrading we will have done here, I think it makes sense to consider a re-roof, but I would favour replacing the slate with tiles, to match the roof of the extended part of the house.

Looking at other houses with tiles around here, the pitch of our roof is a little steeper and I am not sure whether tiles will be a feasible option. The slope of the main roof (measured from horizontal) is 36°.   Internal dimensions of each side of pitch - 2.5m (eaves to centre of grenier) x 1.8m (floor to crest) x 3.1m (eaves to crest).  The roof is 12.5m long.

I am supposing that a ceratin amount of strengthening might be needed, in view of the additional weight of a tiled roof, but it is the question of the pitch that I would appreciate some thoughts on just now.

Many thanks

Visit a proper builders merchant and ask them what you need to do, take a photo and some measurements of the existing beam sizes and distance apart. They should be able to tell you the weight per M2 and what you need to support the tiles by type. Also worth checking with the mayors office to see if it's OK to replace them with tiles to see if there are any restrictions. There probably won't be but it's worth asking just in case.

Tiles can be a lot heavier than slate. Do some homework and make sure that the existing timber structure is up to the job. You may be lucky and the roof timbers are OK, or else you may need to add some extra structure. Not replacing the structure if the wood is sound, but perhaps placing additional joists next to or between the existing.

Archived