Complete France Forum

Help! Planning permission

honeybee

Hello all. Hope so one can help.

We had got planning permission for a small extension in 2007 or so, through an architect. We paid some money to the planning office for this, I think.

Anyway, we decided not to go with the architect, and recently got the extension done. The design is probably different from what the architect had drawn up. It is 4m by 4m and looks a bit like a conservatory, but with a normal roof.

Now, some snitch seems to have informed the Marie that we have built this extension and we have gotten a letter regarding illicit works.

What do we do next? I am not sure where the paperwork is regarding the earlier planning permission, as we put loads of stuff in storage. It may have lapsed and the design is a bit different. Does this matter? What do we do next? Obviously we need to talk to the Marie, but any info from you experts would be a big help!

Thanks in advance.

Your local DDE office should be able to help for that is where the permission should be registered.

In the meantime I would go a visit the mayor and explain everything to him/her, I would consider this a high priority. He/she may also have a copy somewhere. Likewise I would contact the architect.. The permission belongs to you not the architect if he tries to imply it belongs to him.

Thanks Quillan.

Will go to the Mairie on Monday morning. Any idea whether it matters whether we have changed the design a bit? Can't remember whether the roof was meant to be slate, but we put red terracotta tiles as it looks similar all the other older extensions in the house which have similar tiles. Main roof is slate. Also, we might have used more wood and less stone in the construction method, compared to original plans. I wish I could find the damn paperwork, so I could see what was submitted!

[quote user="honeybee"]

Now, some snitch seems to have informed the Marie that we have built this extension and we have gotten a letter regarding illicit works.

What do we do next?[/quote]

Perhaps not even a snitch; round our way helicopters fly overhead occasionally checking to see if anyone has altered their house, without permission, and which might not be visible from the road !

Do go and visit the Mairie as they should have copies of your original submission; if not them then your local planning office.

Sue

Don't think negatively. Tell him exactly that, that the original architect designated slate but you wanted it to blend in with the rest of your house even though it cost you more (well he is not going to know if it did or didn't), play the 'I want to blend in' card.

Re size etc. All I can say is that others who have build houses, extensions etc that I know personally have said that the inspection is basically they come and measure the width, depth and height. If it too high you simply put some gravel round the outside to raise the ground. Unbelievable I know but round here that's how it's done. I have never done this myself but I can't see that three or four people telling the same lie.

The other thing as you said it was 4 x 4 (I assume you mean metres) then that's 16m2 which means as it's under 20m2 you only need a Déclaration Préalable and not full planning permission.

It may be that your builder has not informed the authorities that the work is complete - there is a form called a Déclaration d’Achévement des Travaux (DAT) which should be submitted so that your tax fonciere can be reassessed. It might be worth asking your builder if they have done the form.

The reason why we think it was a snitch is that they have attached a picture of the extension, clearly taken from our land.

I don't think that the Mairie is that concerned to go from house to house and walking over private property for possible violations of planning permission.

I think I am really upset that someone came on our private property to take photos to submit to the Mairie. We are not here most of the year, so I guess people can just walk freely snooping around our place.

Thanks everyone, we will go to the Marie and have a frank chat. The extension is 16 square meters, but the architect had submitted full planning g permission, don't know why.

Archived