Complete France Forum

Zone Rouge

Eos

We're looking at apartments for my parents. Both are disabled to some degree so we avoided areas known to flood but the favourite so far is in a Zone Rouge.

Does anyone have any experience of this? It does seem a bit of a deal breaker.

My reading of the zones was that they were designed to protect other buildings in the area from changes new buildings which would result in them flooding. My first reaction would be to check how long they have been up and what damage flooding has done to the area. We llose a couple of small roads to flooding each winter. The water meadows arround them flood but that is the limit to the damage.

Search on 'google.fr' for 'inodation zone rouge' pulls up lots of information 

We looked at a house that seemed exceptional value, however the estate agent told us it was in a flood plain and that it had flooded twice in the past 20 years. We looked at the 2 high water marks in the house, and they were high. We found that we could obtain insurance for flooding at normal rates. The big downside was that it would be difficult to sell and as it was an investment we would have huge problems with protecting tenants rights.

On the other hand we purchased an apartment opposite the med, it was in a zone red. In fact the whole coast line was zone red. when we asked if the area had been flooded in the past 30 years the answer was no.

ams

• 3 weeks later...

Archived