Complete France Forum

Re: Swapping from Notaire to Immo

Not sure of the legal side of this, but if you go and see an immo and view it with them, and subsequently buy it, you will have to pay the immo's fees in addition to all legal costs.  Fine if you want to go this route but if you can purchase directly via the notaire then I would try this route and save yourself some money, even if it means being persistent and writing and phoning the notaire.

I don't see why either a notaire or an agent would necessarily know. But what either should do is ask the vendor. So as you are not getting anywhere - and notaires in general are not known for promptly answering e-mails - why not step up the pressure a bit or even ask the vendor yourself? Of course, before you see it you should be asked to sign a bon de visite which is basically an agreement to pay the sales commission if you buy. The other thing to consider is you - or the notaire - might not necessarily get an honest answer from the vendor, so check with the mairie before committing yourself to buy.

They might know, might have asked, but might not necessarily have even seen the house - it sounds odd, I know, but that's the way things often work in France. But, as I said, there is no reason why they should not get off their lazy bums, ask the vendor, and then call you back - but again, this is France. If it is being used by somebody, particularly when this is somebody other than the owner, it can open up real cans of worms. There are other complications with farm land, such as SAFER, which has the power to block any sale of agricultural land if it fears it may be lost to commercial agriculture, but you won't know if SAFER is going to involve itself until the sale process is well under way. Of course, none of this might apply in your case, but it gives an indication of why it might not be as simple a question as it appears.

I cannot see how the DDE or anyone other than the vendor or his agent can know if the land is for sale or can be used.

Establishing if the vendor owns the land doesn't put it as for sale as the sale may not include the land.  It seems that the Notaire is rightly not giving information as to the details in case you try and do a deal with the vendor direct.  Surely the easiest way unless you are trying to avoid agents fees, which Notaire's also charge when they act as agents, is to make an appointment to go and see the property with the Notaire if they are the agents, and ask your questions there and then.

I can see your problem, however, if land is being offered as part of the sale it would not usually have tenants rights.   It would appear that as is quite normal in France, the agents are reluctant to give out details, you are often lucky to find out which village the house is in.

If you don't want to drive two hours and in terms of looking for houses in France, that is a modest distance, why not phone up the Notaire and explain your problem? As previously stated E mail is not a common means of communication in France or indeed, the legal world.

Sorry , but don't see how you can save money buying through an "immo" rather than a notaire. A notaire will charge the equivalent of agents fees as well as legal costs.

Secondly any property with farmland attached will almost have it rented out on a lease, in which case, DON'T TOUCH IT WITH A BARGE POLE.

You asked a similar question a few days ago. And got similar answers. Unfortunately this kind of thing is more difficult to find out in France than in UK and it's more a case of caveat emptor here. You hear of people buying a house, the vendor signs "no vices cachees" and you later find there ARE vice cachees but you can't do much about it because the legal system is so expensive and sluggish.

Go to the local Mairie and ask what the land is categorised as on the PLU (agricultural, constructable, non-constructable etc).

Find out if anyone else is currently using the land who is not the owner ie: another farmer using it for hay/grazing sheep etc. as this can be a nightmare situation (similar to squatter's rights).

Archived