Complete France Forum

Sous Tuile roof panel installation.

emilezola

Hello everyone, new to this forum and find it very interesting. I have had a house down in the South West for 10 years and alas the roof has seen better days. I have been expolring the use of the roof panels called suis tuile which you then cover in canal tiles for a more pleasing effect. The benefits that I can see are the speed at which it can be applied, the cost,( being far less than replacing with the original type canal tile) and the availabilty of the product.As well as this reusing about half the old tiles thus saving having to go to the dump so many times! Point P. or even Brico depot has it. Is there a down side? Would love to know if anyone has used it and there experience.

Many thanks.

Hello.

Thanks for your reply, but that link to brico depot does not show the correct panel. The stuff I am talking about is a fibre based board, 100% waterproof and measures 1.96m by 0.96m. There is also one slightly smaller. It is formed using a colour process that makes it look like actual tiles from a short distance away. You can see it on the Point P website.

Cheers.

[quote user="emilezola"]

Hello.

Thanks for your reply, but that link to brico depot does not show the correct panel. The stuff I am talking about is a fibre based board, 100% waterproof and measures 1.96m by 0.96m. There is also one slightly smaller. It is formed using a colour process that makes it look like actual tiles from a short distance away. You can see it on the Point P website.

Cheers.

[/quote]

Why not just post a link?

Warning. Do not use "flexotuile" under tuiles canal. The bitumous material becomes extremely soft in the summer heat and the weight of the tuile canal cause deformation in the soft substract and eventually holes. Our roof was done with "flexotuile" by previous owners about 10 years ago and we have just had to have it done again as the roof was a real seeve.

Easier to use and able to absorb all movements in the roof line, this is not recommended for hot weather areas.

The correct material to use is "Eternit" or "plaques-sous-tuiles". We have had our house and barn done. Sheets are fixed to the timber and old tuiles canal placed back just for show as protection is already ensured by the fibro-ciment sheets. I expect to be trouble free for the next 100 years.

http://www.eternit.fr/tout-pour-vos-couvertures/soutuile/presentation.html

Here is a picture of our roofer cutting the sheets to size:

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn49/frenchgold/P1010123.jpg[/IMG]

and here fitting the first sheet after having made plan the area to work with.

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn49/frenchgold/P1010122.jpg[/IMG]

And here is the job finished on both houses. You can't tell you have sheets of fiber-ciment under the original tuiles canal (even with your nose on the job).

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn49/frenchgold/DSCF17031.jpg[/IMG]

I've used these panels and tiles on a garage/utility area. It worked very well and the roof goes on very quickly so you are weathertight in a short time. I don't think I'd use the panels on a habitable space though, but I'm not sure what makes me say that! Probably only that I'd prefer a more solid, traditional finish on the house and it would also affect long term values I guess.

I had a long cowshed which was derelict, rotten roof beams and generally collapsing. I demolished the roof (clearing the rubbish was a major job in itself!), put up new beams (pine, for low cost), new roof panels were "tile coloured" so would have been OK on their own for this application, salvaged the tiles and refitted just the "uppers" (not the canals). From even a short distance it looks like a conventional roof, but obviously from underneath you can see it's panels. The total roof weight is less than the original as the beams are lighter and only half the number of tiles have been used.

I'll post some photos.  EDIT Yes,"Eternit" as shown above by ericd

fitting the panels;

[IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k611/basstrom79/forum%20pics/fittingpanels.jpg[/IMG]

underside view:

[IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k611/basstrom79/forum%20pics/finishedunderview.jpg[/IMG]

finished:

[IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k611/basstrom79/forum%20pics/garagefinished.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="sid"]

. I don't think I'd use the panels on a habitable space though, but I'm not sure what makes me say that! Probably only that I'd prefer a more solid, traditional finish on the house and it would also affect long term values I guess.

[/quote]

......Are you calling our house a cowshed ??...[8-|] Just aside, why wouldn't use it on a habitable space?...If the job is done correctly there should be a "film ecran de protection" under the sheets of fibro to stop any "foreign bodies" entering the roof space. The protection film sits on the "volige" (planques on which the tuiles canal are fitted) in our case.

From inside of the barn, you can now see what you could see before (volige) and in the gaps, the film protector. Inside the house, we will be insulating with "laine de bois" so there again, nothing will be seen. I just feel extremely happy to have a trouble free roof for many years to come. The only sad thing is that it is difficult to tell you have a new roof......I guess this is a positive point.

PS: You posted your lovely pictures in the meantime (not bad for a lean to...)...... In your situation as an open space, the underneath is perfectly acceptable as plain eternit.

Ha ha, "Cowshed".... no offence intended! [:D] 

I have a feeling that people generally prefer traditional construction for their living spaces, so I'm thinking about longterm and resale values. I agree that if fitted properly there should be no problems and in fact the Eternit catalogue shows the panels on house roofs. I have to say I found this an excellent solution for my particular needs.

That's exactly what my wife and I thought. Longterm and resale value. The roof will come with a near 100 year leak-proof guarantee and I strongly recommend it to the OP.

Here is the last (I promise) picture half-way through work on the barn roof. To the right is the house which was done last year. The tuiles canal that had never seen day light were "as new" when turned on their rounded side up. The roofer's skill was to ensure a correct colour mix. We are both extremely happy with the result.

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn49/frenchgold/P1010126.jpg[/IMG]

Hello.

Many thanks to everyone, this seems to be the answer, terrific photo's. Has anyone who has had this done actually done it themselves. Reason I ask is that the usual wait down my way is around May/June of next year, so I quite fancied having a go earlier than that. Managed to get a really good price on the actual sheets from a builders merchants, so it's the actual nitty gritty of fitting, cutting, do you have to replace support bars underneath etc AND what makes this whole excercise a real hoot for me  is that I am so scared of heights I get a nose bleed standing up.....so should be a lot of fun... any more info greatly appreciated.

Great thanks to all Vertigo Dave.

Yes, I did it myself. The builders merchant did the roof calculations for the timber beams so that I had the correct spacing for fastening (all but the longest panels need only be supportedtop and bottom), and a local retired builder gave me some valuable pointers about gradients and levelling, and there's an important corner cut required for overlapping which took me a while to understand. All materials were new apart from the re-used tiles.

Download a tech document here: http://www.eternit.fr/uploads/tx_arceternit/286_Documentation-technico-commerciale_03.pdf

Mine was only a single-storey building so the height wasn't really a problem, although it would still be a problem if I had fallen!

I started my job in late October but because of the demolition and clearing work it was January before I got to the panelling bit and I was delayed by snow for a week at one point; very unusual here.

[quote user="emilezola"]

Hello.

so I quite fancied having a go earlier than that. Managed to get a really good price on the actual sheets from a builders merchants, so it's the actual nitty gritty of fitting, cutting, do you have to replace support bars underneath etc AND what makes this whole excercise a real hoot for me  is that I am so scared of heights I get a nose bleed standing up.....so should be a lot of fun... any more info greatly appreciated. [/quote]

Doing it yourself is fine (I wish I had had the time to do it) ...BUT....if your roof is not square (ours definitely wasn't) you will have plenty nose bleeds as you will be spending many hours in elevation.

• 2 months later...
 Sid wrote  : I don't think I'd use the panels on a habitable space though,

I second that . This year I have had to replace part of the roof of my outbuilding as a fibre cement panel split and dropped .  Age and weight of the tiles no doubt  but the water  poured through and with luck just missed the plugged in tumble  dryer.  .

Archived