Complete France Forum

Plan technique de cuisine - any advice?

Daft Doctor

Hi

We are having a house built in France but as is typical with Maison Individuelle contracts, the kitchen isn't included.  Given the huge price difference involved, we are sourcing our kitchen through a trade contact in the UK, and when the time comes the fitter is bringing it over and fitting it for us.

As part of drawing up the final electric and plumbing specifications for the house however, the construction company have asked us to forward a 'plan technique cuisine' to establish (as I understand it) the exact locations of all the electrical and lighting installations, plumbing installations, etc.  Fact is such detail isn't usually asked of the client in the UK, as the contruction company would often fit the kitchen as well as do the house build, so simply ask where you wanted various things put.

I've been able to search on google images to find some examples of such plans, but I wondered if anyone with greater knowledge or experience out there would be able to guide me, particularly with nomenclature, etc.  Unless you are buying a kitchen from a French installer it seems they won't do such a plan for you, so I am going to have to produce one myself (A3 graph paper is at the ready!)  It would be really helpful to know for instance if it is the 32A socket which serves the oven, if 20A is needed for an extractor hood, etc, as well as how all the individual elements (e.g. dishwasher water supply, waste, electric sockets, etc) should be represented on such a plan. Other questions would include how under-wall unit lighting should be shown, and whether these plans technique cuisine would normally include ceiling light arrangements?  I suppose I might also be hoping that someone tells me not to bother with such detail, but that would be wishful thinking I'm sure!   Thanks again in advance.  [:D]  

[quote user="Daft Doctor"] we are sourcing our kitchen through a trade contact in the UK, and when the time comes the fitter is bringing it over and fitting it for us.

Unless you are buying a kitchen from a French installer it seems they won't do such a plan for you, so I am going to have to produce one myself (A3 graph paper is at the ready!)   [:D]  [/quote]

But you ARE buying (and having the installation done) by a UK installer. Surely they would do the plan?

When our house was being built, the builder asked for a kitchen plan. We were going to buy and fit an Ikea kitchen (although unless yours is going to be custom made it'll have the same dimensions). I used Ikea's kitchen planner showing all cupboards, oven, hob, sink, extractor, fridge/freezer, printed it out and gave it to the builder. He knew what power supply was needed for each appliance (and to put the window over the sink high enough not to be in the way of the tap) and it all worked perfectly. I don't think your builder would expect you to know (and specify) where you wanted 32A outlets etc - that's up to him!

The French text book for electrical work, nearly always recommended on here, "L'Installation Electrique (Thierry Gallauziaux & David Fedullo)" has diagrams showing recommended circuits for kitchens (indeed, for the whole house). I would take one of these as a basis and add your dimensions. Quite a lot of circuits are required, as all the larger kitchen appliances require their own individual circuits.

15 years ago we brought kitchen units over from B & Q for our new kitchen. They turned out to be higher than the French idea of worktop height at the time. Thus we had to have a plinth made to jack the French cooker up to align with our worktops.

No idea if this difference still applies, but worth double checking if for example you were combining a French cooker with UK units.

Angela

• 2 weeks later...

Archived