Complete France Forum

sewarage

donkeybee

[quote user="Patf"]But some say antibiotics are harmful for the fosse contents, so anyone taking this medication has a problem - where to go?
[/quote]

We also have an outdoor toilet in the garden (kind of a hole in the ground with a roof above) ....suggest you get one dug !

You all worry too much about your turd boxes. Its a massive tank full of thousands of litres of sh1t - being on antibiotics isnt going to affect it and neither is the reasonable use of bleach-based cleaning products. I wouldnt recommend tipping a 20 litre bidon of bleach down the cludgie , but normal use of cleaning products isnt going to do anything to it.

As for the little sachets of magic powder - you may as well just flush a five euro note down the bog every now and then. Infact there is probably more bacteria on the cash!

I dont know for certain, but it is probably a safe bet to say that septic tanks were invented long, long before the sachets of magic powder.

"but, but, but Dave...it smells really bad when we arrive at our holiday home and we put a couple of sachets down the bog and the smell goes away after a day or two."

Yep, and what else you you put down the bog in the first few days while sitting on it reading the mail? The natural stuff is what you need to get the tank "started" if its not active.

I have lived in several different houses in UK and France all with septic systems and have never, ever once had a problem with any of them. No magic required....just poop in it, it will do the rest by itself.

Dave

Spot on.

The only caveat I would give is for the holiday home owner. The fosse left for months unfed leads to a severely weakened bacterial load, and on return if SWMBO decides to pour a "little bleach down all of the drains and the toilets, just to freshen things up." then that can just be the tipping point. But under normal continuous use normal cleaning products and bleach will not be a problem if used in sensible amounts.

Archived