Complete France Forum

GAS BOILER

Nessie

Hi,

I am looking to replace my old gas boiler in our holiday home and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a new gas boiler available that I can leave on in the winter (when we are not there). At the moment I drain down and shut everything off, but the house gets cold and very damp. It would be good to get something that can automatically swtich on when it gets to a certain temperature (froststat??). I know you can do this for electric but unsure whether it would work for gas? Any info would be really useful. Thanks

[quote user="Nessie"]Hi,

I am looking to replace my old gas boiler in our holiday home and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a new gas boiler available that I can leave on in the winter (when we are not there). At the moment I drain down and shut everything off, but the house gets cold and very damp. It would be good to get something that can automatically swtich on when it gets to a certain temperature (froststat??). I know you can do this for electric but unsure whether it would work for gas? Any info would be really useful. Thanks

[/quote]

Welcome to the forum.

As suggested you should check your insurance policy first as already suggested.

Because of the questions asked one assumes (dangerous I know) that it not only heats the water but runs the central heating. Most modern 'room stats' have programs that will do this automatically. They can be set to run for say an hour per day, or every other day with a temperature setting of say 10 deg.

At the end of the day the dampness will be down to no ventilation or very poor ventilation, if not that then some form or rising damp.

The radiator plumbing circuit should be a ‘closed’ circuit and the water should contain an anti-corrosive chemical as well as anti-freeze. This would leave only the cold and hot water to be drained.

If you don’t know about what chemicals are in the central heating system then to be safe it is best to drain it, flush through with a cleaning chemical then refill using the correct chemicals in the amounts recommended by the chemical maker. When you do this (and I know it will take time) empty using a bucket so you know how much water there is in the system (worth righting it down somewhere for the future). You will need to know this so you can add the correct amount of chemicals.

Like my father I have always used Fernox products http://www.fernox.com/home you can get them in France as well.

Archived