The paint isn't drying!

nomoss

In June 2014 I needed to paint some door frames when I added architrave, and bought a tin of paint mixed to match the doors. I used it and it dried satisfactorily, although the match is barely acceptable.

The paint is 3V3 Peinture Boiseries GLYCERO, Satin, Base Pastel, from M Bricolage.

After doing some work on the door frames I needed to repaint them, so used the same paint.

According to the tin it should be touch dry in 6 hours and can be over painted after 12 hours, but paint applied yesterday morning is still tacky, and that applied later in the afternoon is wet enough to transfer to a finger on touching.

I have never come across paint that has such a limited shelf life.

Does anyone have a solution? Can I overpaint with something?

We are expecting visitors and really do need to put the doors back on the bathroom and toilet.

I am guessing that you are painting them outside, either under a shelter or in an outbuilding, if it is water based paint, and my money is on that, then it could take several days to dry because of the humidity in the air, heating them will make little difference but taking them indoors will speed it up unless you live in a barn.

If it is solvent based paint then gentle heating will accelerate the drying, too much will cause bubbling.

April is not June but I have had the same problem with water based paint in the middle of summer under a car port caused by the morning dew.

Curiously, taping the paint name into Tinternet, I come across this thread on a Leroy Merlin forum.  This time, tho', it's people complaining about the paint going off too quick!

So, is there a problem with the formulation of this stuff?  Could be ...

http://communaute.leroymerlin.fr/t5/Satisfait-Pas-satisfait-Dites-le/Peinture-Glyc%C3%A9ro-V33-mat-professionnel-en-10L/td-p/229704

Thanks for the suggestions.

The paint is solvent based, and the

bathroom and toilet doors are inside the house [:)]

We went out for the day, and having returned a short time ago the paint is now just about touch dry, which is encouraging.

That part of the house is at about 17º today, but as I bought the paint in June the house was probably much warmer when I first used it.

After reading ventodue's contribution I think maybe the manufacturer increased the drying time after complaints it was too short.

When I found it still very wet after a full day I started to worry a bit, as when we bought this house the oak kitchen unit doors had been painted a horrible maroon colour, and the paint was still so tacky after weeks that the doors were sticking. I guessed the previous owner had also bought the paint from Mr Bricolage, as it is just across the road.

I tried scraping off the paint, which was soft, but could not remove it from the grain of the wood, and we didn't want painted units anyway. Sanding was not feasible because of the design, so I gave all the units to Manuel, the builder's man working on the roof. His wife liked the colour and was delighted with them[:D]