Alternative to putty

Ian

The glass fell out of one of my skylights recently (old-style, metal). I'm off to buy the new piece of glass tomorrow. Is there something easier and more secure than putty, that I can use to bed it? There are only a couple of small retaining lugs at the bottom to help hold the glass in place, so I'd like something that is stickier, and faster to set, than putty.

Cheers

A lot of windows I have seen seem to be set in with silicone (clear), but the using a wood filet to fix the pane in. While I see no reason why that should not work for you, if it were me I would probably use putty as well to form the outer profile - I doubt wood would work or could be adequately fixed to the metal

I agree that these days, a silicone bed could well be the way to go.  So this is really just for info:

The glass should be held in with clips or springs, Ian. See if this link works:

http://media.wiley.com/Lux/30/82730.image16.jpg?h=400&w=535

However, these clips are often missing, as I think you've just found out.  Unfortunately, they are often of a proprietary nature which means that if over the years they rust out or snap, they don't get replaced ...

Also, try to use a metal glazing putty, not a timber or 'all purpose' putty.  These latter normally contain linseed oil which won't work with metal casements (the oil doesn't get absorbed and starts bleeding out, and then the putty fails).  Trouble is, metal glazing putty can be hard to find, especially in small quantities.

It must be over-painted, too.

P.s  And if you want to do the job properly, don't forget to paint the glass rebates while you're there.  Otherwise you risk them rusting and, 'Crack!!' That's the glass gone!

Thanks all.

I bedded the glass on some white silicon sealant I'd left over from fitting a WHB - nice and sticky. Once set, a quick fillet of putty (ordinary, I'm afraid) to seal it. No clips (and no sign of any - probably lost in the 150 years since the skylights were fitted).

If that doesn't work, and the glass falls out, I'll try No-Nails next time.

Cheers

It sounds too late now but if the frames are metal (ferrous) you should only use neutral cure silicon and not Acetyl cure (the smelly one) as that attacks ferrous metals and will cause you more problems.

If the surface is sound dry glaze tape is good compared to putty.