Water resistant hardboard?

Jonzjob

[quote user="Patf"]Plaque de plâtre hydrofuge.

[/quote]

is actually plasterboard not hardboard.

Hardboard is isorel

I've never come across a water resistant hardboard but a coat of paint/sealer can transform it to such

regards

cajal

oh dear! [:$] I didn't notice it was hardboard. I jumped to the conclusion because I had to find some when we were creating a bathroom.

There's a fireproof plasterboard too called p de p antifeu which we put around the woodburner.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panneau_de_grandes_particules_orient%C3%A9es

Have a look here and just follow the pictures..

https://www.google.fr/search?q=panneau+bois+osb+hydrofuge&espv=2&biw=1869&bih=918&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH_u34-avNAhWEtxoKHRQhD0gQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1

I can't see a hydrofuge version. I am guessing you would just need to give it a couple of coats of Lasure.

Panneau OSB3 hydrofuge, available most places.

These things are not waterproof as I can attest having redone the roof on my pied à terre in the UK a few weeks ago, at best they will shed drips of water as long as there is a fall but the edges, especially cut edges will soak it up and rot in double quick time.

The same is true for the decorative foil covered MDF bathroom tongue and groove planks its only the waxy paper decorative surface that is at best water resistant, the back and ends soak up water like blotting paper.

Following your Wickes link will take you to OSB3 which under product details is suitable for use under humid conditions and will also require ends and edges preserved for external use..

Don't forget Humid (Atmospherically damp) - English is different to Humide (Wet) - French.

Perhaps if you tell us for what purpose you will be requiring a particular board for an alternative, with translation, can be suggested.

regards

cajal

That got me questioning my understanding so I had to look up humid(e) and mouillé in my dictionary, it seems that mouillé is wet as I thought but humid(e) can be damp or wet depending on whether you are talking about an article or a season.

Perhaps mouillé is more for something that is soaking or soaked but I would use trempé(e) for that.

Back to OSB3, the leaks that I had on my felted roof had discoloured the OSB but it had not gone sodden and lost all its strength, I could still walk on it, in areas where it had been trapped at the bottom of the pitch is had delaminated/degraded as if there was no glue remaining.

Chipboard would have collapsed and I think standard OSB would have lost all its strength.

[quote user="cajal"]

Perhaps if you tell us for what purpose you will be requiring a particular board for an alternative, with translation, can be suggested.

regards

cajal

[/quote]

Certainly. We have a cuisine d'été with a traditional terracotta tiled roof. The underside is open with the tiles on show. A boat load of rubbish comes down through the tiles and I want to pin something like hardboard or the like on the underside of the slats and between the joists to stop the rubbish dropping through. It is quite weatherproof on the underside so I suppose that even hardboard would suffice for it as I don't want to spend a load of cash doing it? I will need something like 4 or 5  8 x 4 sheets for the job.

The joists are very evenly spaced at anywhere between 18 1/2 and 16" so the board will have to be cut to fit and not just sliced [:-))]

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/29/IMG_0797_zpsvobmqhkz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/29/IMG_0797_zpsvobmqhkz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Here is what I would do Jonzjob, it will really look the part and give you heat insulation as well both to keep the summer heat from overheating the room.

Use extruded polystyrene sheets, easy to cut to size with a Stanley knife and they will wedge in and not need any fixings, now the clever bit, finish them with white or ton pierre crepi, if you put it on with a gun it will give a superb decorative finish and cost next to nothing, it can be done outside away from the kitchen and when dried you push the sheets into position you can use a bead of painters mate around the edges which will seal ensure they can never drop but you will still be able to remove them if needed, the crepi maes them hard as concrete, use the T&G edges for joints between the boards.

I have done the walls in my laundry room in this way and they look superb, I will be doing the ceiling later this year.

No problems with insulation Ch.

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/29/IMG_0798_zpsw36fpepo.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/29/IMG_0798_zpsw36fpepo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The front is completely open. The left hand side is the pool pump room and the pool tools slide up under the roof so I don't want to actually block the space between the joists. Hence the hardboard. There's also several blackcap nest boxes in there to which would suffer if I used poly foam. But ta for the idea.

If it was mine / If I was doing the job (ah...those two old chestnuts) I would visit here and buy 13.5sq mts of lambris pin maritime noueux déclassé (code 37251) scroll down to list of grades available (€3.93/sq mt). Cost €53.32 + clips.

regards

cajal

I'd need one  sail 2/3rds the shape of an octagon and another the other 1/3rd to fit [:-))][:-))][blink]

Those boards look complicated and a lot of cutting??

I think that I will just get some hardboard. I have a nice new staple gun to play with to nail it up there too [8-|] It should be pretty well dry up there and if it did get damp it dries very quickly here. It'll last as long as we are going to be here me-thinks??

Jonzjob

I would not discount Chancer's suggestion just because you do not need the insulation properties.

Expanded polystyrene is very easy to work with and is cheaper than chips - 4€ will buy you a sheet 1.25m x 0,6m - depending on thickness. For what you describe a 20mm thickness should be adequate.

Do not confuse extruded sheet with expanded sheet - the sort of stuff that appliances are boxed in with for shipment. This is a denser material but still lightweight.

If you are worried about the crepi finish, I painted on a thin coat of plaster filler. You could probably use a sand based enduit (what is that in English?) as well.

• 2 weeks later...