Re-pointing

mattjazz

I've repointed a wall in my house using what was recommended at Bricomarche. Its a lime product of some sort which I then knocked up with sand. It all worked fine but is very grey.

What's the best stuff to use to get a more yellow/sandy colour.

Many thanks

There are a number of things that will dictate the final colour.

1)The colour of the sand and how clean it is (most important). Light coloured sand will be lighter obviously. Yellow sand will dry more yellow. Red sand will dry more red. Crap dirty sand will dry dark and grey.

2) The mix/ratio of sand/chaux. 2:1 will be more whiter than 3:1. I always go 2.5:1.

3) The speed in which the wall dries.

4) Humidity in the wall. Humidity will stain the chaux and make it look dark.

I suggest you find a nicer sand (0.2) and do a another thin layer and do it in slightly warmer weather. You must make sure the existing chaux is completely dry.

• 4 months later...
When I said humidity, I meant coming from the ground up.

Of course you humidify the wall before pointing (I sometimes use a power jet thinghy to clean the old joints out).

However, sometimes you see repointed houses walls that were done in the summer and go a homogeneous white or cream when dry, but come the next spring the chaux joints in places become discoloured. Nothing you can do about that.

In case it's of interest, a couple of years ago I bought some dye for cement off Ebay. It was very effective - the mortar is still the same colour. Incredibly strong dye so I needed to add only the tiniest amount of the powder to the mix. Had to experiment quite a bit until I got the shade I was after.

I am not sure pointing stone walls with cement is a great idea to be fair. I spent most of my time hacking old cement joints out to re-joint with chaux. I can tell you it is a right pain in the bum.

The last two walls I did I had to take a two inch render off which covered the stones. Behind it was a beautiful old stone window and entrance to where an old door must have been. Etched into one of the stones was a date (1852...or something like that) a heart and someones name.

It took nearly a month to hack off the render and two days to re-point properly.

Stone walls are my passion.

The problem with pointing stone walls is that they can look overdone to the point they look unnatural and...don't look right.

The pictures in that thread don't look natural to me. If you like that, that is fine. I don't like creamy polished stone walls like that. It is too pretentious for me. You may as well just have wallpaper. Also, those stones have not been exposed enough. You need some depth in the joints to give character.

There is nothing worse visiting a chateaux/old house where the walls look like the building has just been built.

No cement in chaux for me. I don't see the point.