Workmate recommendation

Pierre ZFP

After many, many years and a huge amount of use and abuse, my Black and Decker Workmate has decided to call it a day. I can't complain as I've had it for 30+ years and it has performed above and beyond the call of duty.

So, I must replace it but the reviews I have read all say that the new ones are not a patch on the original models.  Also, the Bosch and Wolf brands are not any better.

Does anyone have first hand experience or recommendations of these things before I make a fairly expensive mistake?

Many thanks

It would be helpful if you said what the main tasks you would use a new bench would be?

I've got one of the original Mate Tools (labelled B&D) Workmates but I've also got three of the single height, non-tilting jaws 10-15€ etabli pliant which I bought about ten years ago. I find they are just as good for light general wood work, supporting planks, doors, etc. and general clamping (but I do have a "proper" bench in the workshop as well).

Smallish, well, muscled but slim model, good *um, excellent teamaker, doesnt chat too much or whine, anticipates every need...... Alas, such things do not exist anymore so go for an older well tuned model with experience and strength. Not sure if ebay has them but if they are up for sale they would be snapped up.

Workmate on steroids! Love it!

I mostly use it for carpentry and the like but the old one was severely tested at times supporting car engines and gearbox, unreasonably  large tree trunks etc.

Thing is that OH was going to get me one for Christmas so probably not best to root around on ebay for it.

Pierre, I agree with Chancer, if you can find an old one with plywood rather than MDF top you'll probably get a bargain. I got the one in Chancers pictures with the old alloy manufacture for £4 at a boot fair cos the bloke selling it couldn't get it fold down.  I walked off with the prize and two seconds with a pair of pliers to straighten the bent bit and it folds nicely and way better than the modern one.

I know the man that invented the Workmate, he lives nearBergerac!!! He came up with the idea while working for Lotus, when Colin Chapman blew a fuse when the team set up a tressle table as part of the pits garage. He tells me he still gets 10p per unit sold, including licensed copies!!!

• 1 month later...
A little anecdote.......

What caused Ron Hickman to design the workmate in the first place?

He and his wife moved to a nice new house; all the doors needed a bit sawing from the bottom as the carpet wouldn't fit underneath. He tried to saw a few using two chairs as support and discovered he had sawed through part of the door. Hickman then worked as Steve stated at Lotus Cars in Cheshunt, Herts, as a draughtsman. He set to to solve the problem. What he wanted was a light work support, which folded flat in order it could be hung on the integral-garage wall, to minimise obstructing space.

Hickman made a prototype and patented it; and then tried to sell a licences to Stanley Bridges, Wolf and even Black and Decker. They all rejected his idea saying "It will never catch on!".

As with so many innovators, inventors and entrepreneurs, Hickman struggled to finance a business and in the end, mortgaged everything he owned to the hilt and started contract manufacture. Exhibiting at a trade show in (I seem to recall) Hanover, he received firm interest from B & D Germany. Who eventually showed the product to B & D UK. Hickman enjoyed the moment when B & D UK begged him for a manufacturing license!

Last I heard he was a tax exile in Jersey and collecting classic cars.

I have written much analysis of the "Experts" in major corporate market analysis departments, who have come up with the infamous expression "Not for us! It will never catch on!"

Trivial Pursuits:

Velcro:

Goretex:

To name but a few.

Yes and it's easy to do.  No fiddling with little screws etc.  In fact the whole thing goes together and folds up again very easily which is another plus.

There are accessories available like 'Log Jaws' but I they are around £20.  I think I'll be getting my welder out at the weekend for a little experimentation [geek]