new PVC windows

Doodle

Hi all,

I've had a quote for replacement pvc windows and for replacement of the exterior rotten wood on the outside of the dormers and the triangle above the windows - hope this makes sense.

If someone can please tell me what this means as shown on the devis I would be extremely grateful. Thanks Mrs KG

Dormant: Dormant Reno aile 39

Seuil: Dormant et cornière pan coupé.

Accessoires inclus: 1 x Grille 30m3/h Mini ESEA 37 dB(A)

Hi . This is very much Window Fitter jargon but:

Dormant: Dormant Reno aile 39

The dormant of a door or window is the part that doesn't move. In this case the wooden frame you mention. (Reno "wing" 39) being the reference I guess.

Seuil: This is the bottom base part. Dormant (as above) et cornière (corner) pan coupé (cut to size/at an angle??).

Accessoires inclus: Accessories included are: 1 x Grille (mesh-air vent) 30m3/h 30 cubic metre/hour Mini ESEA 37 dB(A) (minimum ESEA that's a norm for windows at 37 Decibels) This I believe relates to the glass itself.

I think "dormant reno aile 39" means its what we used to call a "plant" window for renovation, you leave the existing frame in the masonry and this one fits (is planted) inside it, the 39mm aile is most probably the rebate overlap.

Why is the OP considering a bodge up of renovation windows or is that what the seller is proposing? The finished result is inferior, the frame (including the old one) is thicker and less glass area compared to a new window plus you have the old wooden frame to rot.

Hi Chancer. I understand your point on this issue. Some neighbours and friends where we are have had double-glazed put on. The fitters did exactly as you mentioned thus resulting in a very thick frame and much smaller window panes.

Neighbours did it to minimise the repair work after the fitting (and also minimise costs for this replacement).

Ooooh no it's not going to be a 'bodge' job the whole lot is coming out. The original windows around 25 years old were installed by the english owner at the time. The chappy from the company who has quoted for the replacements was absolutely astonished when I opened the windows - he said he'd heard about english windows opening out but had never seen any. I explained that there would be a lot of window cleaners out of jobs if the brits adopted the french system - he found it even more difficult to get his head around a man with a ladder, bucket and sqeezy arriving every now and then to clean windows! Mrs KG

[quote user="Mrs KG"]Ooooh no it's not going to be a 'bodge' job the whole lot is coming out. [/quote]

You may think that, you may want to believe that but Dormant reno aile 39 says otherwise.

Its your funeral but I suggest that you ask the question of the salesperson.

here a a couple of links which are widely available

https://www.google.fr/search?q=Dormant:+Dormant+Reno+aile+39&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwick6TXzuzSAhXBohQKHb1uCssQ_AUICCgB&biw=1536&bih=755&dpr=1.25

https://www.google.fr/search?q=Seuil:+Dormant+et+corni%C3%A8re+pan+coup%C3%A9.&client=firefox-b-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwif58KwzuzSAhUCaxQKHUIYBsQQsAQIGw&biw=1536&bih=755&dpr=1.25

Reno is short for renovation

This is helpful too 

https://s1.lmcdn.fr/multimedia/791400535477/296a8d573486cd/produits/mode-d-emploi-fenetre-pvc-primo-2-vantaux-tirant-droit-h185xl90-cm-1.pdf

Thanks to all for the posts. I've been busy looking at the sites suggested and see what you mean.

Now that you've frit me (in my best interests) I will check out exactly what is being replaced. Maybe I've been a little too confident with it as the chappy who works for the company is a neighbour and we know him and his parents very well. Mrs KG

Insurance salesmen, independant financial advisors and double glazing salesmen, all charming people whose friends and neighbours trust.

I'm sure there are decent individuals amongst all of them, I'm forever the optimist and hope to encounter them one day.

have a look at this picture, extracted from a long article in Charente Libre regarding overpricing energy renovations...note prices for windows.

http://images.charentelibre.fr/2017/03/09/58c10ac57971bba33d975822/default/1000/photovoltaique-sweetcom-se-defend.jpg

Not sure how much a baguette is now as I no longer eat bread but lets say €1

I could open a boulangerie selling baguettes for €3 and could take all the customers from all of the others if paying 3 times the fair price for a baguette meant they got a credit d'impôt for half of it [:'(]

The stupidity of supposedly intelligent educated people around me never fails to amaze me. France is a paradise for the scammers, its like shooting fish in a barrel.