Decennial insurance

tonyv

Seven years ago, I had a ground-source geothermal heating system installed in my chalet, at some considerable cost. It's been working well, and is very economic.

Sadly, in February, one of the brass underground manifolds developed a leak, apparently due to dezincification. It turns out that brass (unless it's DZR - Dezincification Resistant) should never be used in an underground situation, precisely for that reason. The company that installed it is no longer trading, but I found a technician who is a former employee of that company. He wouldn't be drawn on the question of redress - not his business, but did provide a quote to replace both manifolds at a cost of 1700€, which I've accepted.

Now the question is whether I can get redress from the decennial insurance of the original installer, and how I go about claiming. Does anyone here have experience of this minefield? I'd be very grateful to learn.

Cheers, Tony

Tonyv wrote : ... but he did provide a quote to replace both manifolds at a cost of 1700€, which I've accepted. Now the question is whether I can get redress from the decennial insurance of the original installer, and how I go about claiming.

Regarding the décennal insurance you must contact the insurers and get their go-ahead for acceptance of your claim before you do anything else. It might take a while but, in my experience, you are unlikely to be given the go ahead to repair and then claim a refund from them, as in the UK. It usually works the other way round here : acceptance first, estimate(s) next, finally the repair.

Though I should be delighted to be told I am wrong.

Sue

First thing to check is your house insurance policy, to determine the cover you have for Protection Juridique.

If this is included in your policy your insurer should guarantee litigation with anyone concerned relating to the quality of work done on your property, which should also cover discovering who provided the decennial insurance for the company which carried out the work.

On the other hand, it might be better to claim for the damage (premature deterioration of the manifolds) under the section of your policy covering leak finding of, and repairs to water pipind systems, although these may not cover buried piping.

Was the job done by a legit. plumber or on the black? If the latter, probably he/she did not have the insurance at all so you don't have a leg to stand on.

On the other hand, when a job is done, isn't the artisan supposed to hand over a photocopy of their decennial insurance, or at least give the name of the insurer. Do you have same amongst your papers?

Does the chap(esse) who offered to fix it for you know the whereabouts of the original fitter and could you therefore contact him to get the name of the decennial insurer and the reference number etc?

Would the local chambre de metiers know where the guy was?

If it was a new build your first port of call will be your own assurance dommage ouverage.

If it was only a refurb then you need to contact your installers insurer.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/R33764

http://www.conso.net/content/de-graves-dommages-affectent-votre-maison-de-moins-de-dix-ans-mais-la-societe-responsable

The debate may well be around whether or not the failure renders your property uninhabitable

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Was the job done by a legit. plumber or on the black? If the latter, probably he/she did not have the insurance at all so you don't have a leg to stand on.

On the other hand, when a job is done, isn't the artisan supposed to hand over a photocopy of their decennial insurance, or at least give the name of the insurer. Do you have same amongst your papers?

Does the chap(esse) who offered to fix it for you know the whereabouts of the original fitter and could you therefore contact him to get the name of the decennial insurer and the reference number etc?

Would the local chambre de metiers know where the guy was?[/quote]

Thank you to all who replied with very useful information.

The original installation was done by a proper chauffagiste with a siret number and all. He did hive me a copy of his insurance document, with AXA, bearing a policy number. So far all good.

The original gerant is now in French Polynesia, presumably selling them air-conditioning. Not much use to me.

So, is it (initially, at least) simply a matter of writing to AXA with a claim, and see what happens? Sounds a bit simplistic for France. To be clear, I have no problem writing off the cost of the repair, and would rather do that than get too embroiled in the French legal system. On the other hand, I figure that's what insurance is for, so might as well give it a go...

Any further advice?

Cheers, Tony

Dealing with big and sometimes bullying insurance companies by yourself can be a right pain, so if you can get your own company involved, it will save your nerves, perhaps.

Whatever happens, the damaged/deterioriated joint or whatever will have to be looked at by the 'experts', so don't do anything re repairs until it has been done.