oil fired boiler

annie

Attention you two, I did actually say earlier that I have 12 radiators and only run 4/5. That must mean I guess I turn them off.....with the valve !!!!!!. Durrr.

My point earlier was that if confronted with the situation with having to replace a 7000 euro 'oil driven' chaudiere I

would not waste my money given it is a very expensive way to heat a house in France. I would invest in other forms of heating even if it were more expensive in its initial investment

Secondly, if buying a house in France that had oil heating I would knock down the price in order to use that saving to replace the system with something more economical.

Albf, still not totally convinced with your argument against oil central heating.

I am currently sitting in our 90 sqm living/dining room with 3 radiators giving background heat and a wood burner ( not open fire) is blasting away. I am still wearing my warm jacket - I am the other side of the room to the fire.

Little Wifey (for recent returnee) is currently upstairs in the only bedroom being heated by a radiator as all others are switched off.

Our boiler is a de dietrich about 40 years old but still going strong. When it goes I ( we for the recent returnee) think that the simplest thing to do will be to replace (invest) in another similar boiler rather than commit to greater outlay on another non-descript other system(s). We currently do not use the house as a permanent home and so efficiency is not a massive factor in the calculation.

"Dordogneshire" is a lovely place in summer but a tad cold in winter. I think that your (albf) comments are absolutely right in that good insulation is the key factor - in our case this was the case for the roof insulation in summer as well as in winter. I think, though, that currently the shutters and future curtains ( sorry - WE for the recent returnee) suffice for the moment. If we sold the house I'm sure that the central heating would only be a small negotiating factor.

Unfortunately our other house in England is also heated by oil. With the horrible availability of wifi here ( see another thread) I have learned two things today from my youngest son.

1, My season ticket to local premiership side was not used today due to bereavement ( the team recently beat Burnley thought that doesn't reduce possibilities of identification by much).

2. He is using the central heating all day!

But hey - it is forecast that the weather is going to be ok until we return to the UK.

I'm sure that it not going to be the same north of the Watford gap though - perhaps that's why the north voted for Brexit!!!

• 5 months later...