oil fired boiler

annie

[quote user="annie"]can anyone recommend a good oil fired boiler. [/quote]

We had a De Dietrich GTU fitted about 4 years ago and so far are quite happy with it. Not the cheapest but seems to be very efficient. It runs the heating system and the hot water, so if you already have a  water heater I believe that they do a heating only system.

We've had our De Dietrich boiler (central heating only) for seven years.  Fully automatic with an external temperature sensor.  Our plumber set everything up originally and he comes around every year to service the burner and drink my whisky.  Other than switching it off for the oil deliveries, we never have to touch it. 

As per Nick, not the cheapest on the market but as it uses 30% less fuel than the old boiler, it's more than paid for itself .....[8-|]

[quote user="annie"]

Hello there

How much was your De Detriech boiler and what company did you purchase it from?

Many thanks

Annie

[/quote]

Annie I've sent you PM. As I said they're not cheap, but you get what you pay for. The following link may help you. Ours was supplied by a local company "Chavigny" in Montoire sur Loir and fitted by a  plumber who lives in our village in the Loir et Cher.

http://www.dedietrich-thermique.fr/produits/gammes_de_produits/chaudieres_sol/fioul_gaz_fonte_gt_120/gtu_1200_v

• 4 years later...
Hi...I know this is sometime later than your post but I was wondering if you could help....I'm thinking of buying a de Dietrich GTU C120 for about €8000 including installation. However, having looked elsewhere, boilers seem to be between 700 and 3000 euros. I just can't seem to fathom why the C120 is so expensive. I read a couple of bad reviews and some moderate but nothing extolling their virtues. I don't want to be a pain but you seem to be the only person I can find that's got one. Can you throw any light on what you paid and how much oil it uses and its reliability. Obviously any info/help would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards...Mike

We have the GTU 12004 V FF. It was a direct replacement for another boiler which failed, so we already had all the radiators etc. in place. The cost of boiler and fitting came to 5000 Euro, but remember that was about 8 or 9 years ago. As for efficiency and how much oil it uses , that's the length of a piece of string thing, depending on your room sizes and how warm you want them. We use around 1200 litres a year, but we do have a large Jotul wood burner as well. Before installing the wood burner we burnt a little over 2000 litres of oil. We have the boiler serviced every year at a cost of around 100 Euro. So far one small part, a startup switch failed . I can only recommend them, but as in life others may disagree. Good luck.

A deDietrich came with the house when we bought it. Unfortunately, when we left one autumn to go back to the UK I forgot to turn down the thermostat, the oil ran out, the boiler froze and the heat exchanger did not survive.

I replaced it with a boiler and burner from Leroy Merlin for, if I remember, less than 1000 euros - the sales chap recommended signing up for their loyalty card and saved an extra 10%.

Could take a lot of years to get your money back on any better efficiency of the deDietrich.

The boiler we have now is far noisier than the deDietrich but I could add some more insulation.

[quote user="Mike"]Hi...I know this is sometime later than your post but I was wondering if you could help....I'm thinking of buying a de Dietrich GTU C120 for about €8000 including installation. However, having looked elsewhere, boilers seem to be between 700 and 3000 euros. I just can't seem to fathom why the C120 is so expensive.[/quote]

Simple answer. The de Deitrich is a condensing boiler which makes them circa 90% efficient, against a normal non-condensing boiler's circa 70%.

Additionally, with Veismann boilers, they are the crême de la crême of domestic and industrial boilers.

The de Deitrich uses a Ceramic Heat Exchanger, which is not only much more efficient, but also resists calcification to a far greater level than the usual stainless steel. The boiler casting itself is cast from Eutectic Iron, which again is far more resistant to corrosion, plus it has a For the Life of the Boiler Anodic Protection System to again prevent corrosion. Most similar anodes would require periodic replacement as they are a sacrificial form of electrolytic protection.

All of the controls, detectors and process management systems in de Dietrich and or Veismann boilers are of a superior quality. A Condensing Boiler requires more complex control systems to a standard type.

How does a Condensing boiler work and what's different to a "Normal boiler?

The condensing boiler, captures the waste heat from the flu gases. This is passed through the heat exchanger, which extracts the heat (and is used to pre-warm the colder water returning to the system from the last rad in the series) and in cooling the gas, it becomes a condensate, which is discharged through a drain vent.

[quote] I read a couple of bad reviews and some moderate but nothing extolling their virtues. I don't want to be a pain but you seem to be the only person I can find that's got one. Can you throw any light on what you paid and how much oil it uses and its reliability. Obviously any info/help would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards...Mike[/quote]

As already stated, the amount of oil ANY boiler burns all depends on demand, i.e. how long it is on; the temperature you operate the system at, room by room, how many months per year heating is used, etc. Most critical is the building's Heat Loss and overall size.

People always fail to grasp, any heating system is really only a classic Heat Engine: i.e. Energy In - Energy Out.

Concerning the cost of a new boiler, well, you does the homework, makes your choice and pays the cash!

Just remember, a 20% gain on efficiency means 20% less fuel consumed for a given level of heat demand.

Mazout has varied in cost for our place from 30 cents/Litre back in 2001, thru nearly €1.20/Litre. At present the oil and gas market has collapsed and prices are on the floor. This will, however, change at some point forward. When? Me Crystal Ball exploded, sadly, from overuse! [:-))]

Bon courage !

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]If I bought a new house that run on oil, I personally would not invest in a 'new' oil boiler.

I think that money could be better spent in insulation and other heating technologies.[/quote]

Or even "RAN"...

That said. what a sweeping statement!

Depends on the geographical area; the size and type of the house; and whether it was possible, for example, to retro-fit underfloor wet heating, using Geothermal Energy. Which costs; boy does it cost!

As Stevedeisel and I calculated on here some years back when this perennial came up years back, one also needs to compute mortality and amortisation of cost and thus arrive at a pay back curve.

Whilst it is eminently possible to retro-fit superior holistic insulation on some houses, it isn't possible to do this on all, realistically. For example, exterior cladding is wonderful. A chum in Spain had his nearly new posh villa upgraded (mainly to prevent sun heat raising the interior temp and costing a bundle for Aircon). Nice job. A £20,000, nice job.....

I suppose one could install wood burners in each room.....

[Www]

Just saying, I would not invest in oil (probably not gas either to be fair) to heat my 'next' house. Or to put it another way, invest in 'central heating'. Oil is a dead fuel and gas as well.

I look at each room in a house and I think what type of heating does that room need.

We have 220 sq metres, 12 (gas heated) radiators and in the winter only 5 are turned on.

Invest in flecees and enjoy not being too hot. That is my motto.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"] Oil is a dead fuel and gas as well.[/quote]

Well, let's hope there is a massive investment, soon, in nuclear power stations...

Or planting new trees.

Solar and wind simply do not create sufficient energy.

Which is probably why, Germany has rolled back its much vaunted solar programme and heavily invested in new, err, coal-fired power generating stations.

Central heating is clearly the most efficient form known to man of heating buildings: mainly owing to the inherent economies of scale.

Even ground-source heating requires electricity: much of which is generated by both natural gas and heavy oil.

Still, looking on the not-so-bright side, I suppose we could all revert to tallow candles; or slaughtering the whales left; or eat a bushel of carrots per day...

Or retiring to bed, as the daylight fades away. Wearing our fleeces, naturally, to try and keep warm...

[Www]

One thing I notice when going back to the UK is how hot people have their houses. It like 24 degrees plus and the central heating is just blasting away. As soon as they turn it off the house goes cold because their is no insulation.

I guess if you want that type of heat then central heating is the best way to go but my god, you are paying for it. For every extra degree you turn up your boiler there is significant cost. Moreover, you get used to that heat which is bad for the body and your wallet. Waste of money.

I set my thermostat at 18-19 degrees max for very limited times of the day and 17 degrees at night. I think our heating bill for quite a large house is 800 euros max a year including water.

Like I said, if I invested in a new house I would go for a pellet burner that can pump the heat into certain rooms. I would have efficient electric radiators in rooms I don't use and only turn them on if I need to. Which is unlikely. A nice open fire in the salon. All complemented with a one of those parafin burners that you turn on for ten minutes instantly heats a room.

The rest of my money is spent on insulation and in particular good quality windows. They make such a difference.

You don't need central heating.

I find in incredible that the font of all knowledge and expert on all that is wrong with the UK actually bothers to set foot in a country that is so backwards in every way. I think it's about time that the UK woke up and started using insulation and taking lessons on house building and how to live properly from a French "hausfrau".

Nicky wrote:

"I find in incredible that the font of all knowledge and expert on all that is wrong with the UK actually bothers to set foot in a country that is so backwards in every way"

Well I am off to the UK a week after next. I can't wait and nor can the kids. Bring on the food, pubs and miserable gîts.

I have already packed my t-shirts.

Let us hope you get your desire and have a miserable time, still one picks their own friends. We'll be in England for a real Christmas celebration, rather than the poor imitation that the French tolerate. Ferrero Rocher must think it's wonderful getting all their overstocked chocolate on display in SuperU etc.

I do see where you are coming from with your ideal house albf. However, surely, if you are not using a room in a house with central heating all you have to do is close the valve to the radiator in the room.

By ruling out central heating I think you deflect from your main points.

[quote user="richard51"]I do see where you are coming from with your ideal house albf. However, surely, if you are not using a room in a house with central heating all you have to do is close the valve to the radiator in the room.

By ruling out central heating I think you deflect from your main points.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more richard. I was going to make an identical comment, yet by this time, trying to use logic and Thermo-Dynamics theory and practice in the latter part of this thread was clearly a waste of time and grey matter.

[Www]