Issues with kitchen sink waste

Bobdude

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Ours is not a Saniflow pump. It was sourced by our plumber in relation to the distance the water needed to be pumped.....which is the key point. I don't know what make it is without finding the manual. It was about 700 euros I think. But cheaper than a new floor had we dug down.

The pump (quite small) sits under the sink in the cabinet. The pipe runs horizontally (5 metres all hidden) behind all cabinets. Then through a wall. The piping then turns up vertically 2 metres and horizontally again until it turns up again into the grenier. The piping then goes somewhere to an out flow pipe.

Brilliant piece of equipment for an old house because often when you buy houses the kitchen is in the wrong place. These allow you put the kitchen anywhere without major renovation.

Top ALBF tip.[/quote]

Our 'kitchen', as such, is tiny, so from the sink to where the existing waste pipe is, is maximum 2 metres. In actual fact, it could be run up to the grenier more or less directly from where the sink is now, except that it would at some point have to pass through the back wall of the house, which is almost 2 ft thick stone! Nothing is easy in these ancient buildings.

[quote user="BritinBretagne"]My house didn’t have a kitchen when I bought it. Or water. I could put the kitchen and plumbing where I wanted.[/quote]

The cottage is small. It was a choice of either having a kitchen in the living room, but I don't like open plan, and it would have made the living area even smaller, or leaving it where it was, in actual fact just a tiny room with a sink in the corner. It's a gite. We have a guest in there at the moment, which only adds to the problem. The existing sink waste pipe hasn't been touched up to now, and it has been fully occupied from 2010 to now, just as it is, with no problems! At the moment, having located the underground pipe and cleared it, the sink is emptying ok.

[quote user="DraytonBoy"]Current cost of our Sanispeed is 550E if bought on the internet.

If it were me I'd get a plumber round and ask him if it's feasible to use a pump and go from there.[/quote]

Yes indeed. We are looking at options and obtaining quotes. The work has to wait until the current tenant leaves though! I just found this:

https://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/sanivite-waste-water-pump-system-6004

Which seems to fit the criteria.

[quote user="Tom 58"]As albf says you can get systems just to treat 'grey' water. Look up 'traitements des eaux ménagères' and http://www.eautarcie.org/04a.html[/quote]

Thank you Tom. I did look when albf posted, but could only find fosses touts eaux. I will look up the link you have provided.

If you go the pump route (the picture you showed is not dissimilar to ours) remember that if it can pump a distance of let's say 30 metres, if you introduce a 4 m vertical bit in the piping network, the overall distance will be reduced to may be 20 metres.

What I am saying is you have to do some maths to work out if the pump will work in relation to your planned installation. If not, you may have to go for a larger pump. If that makes sense.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]If you go the pump route (the picture you showed is not dissimilar to ours) remember that if it can pump a distance of let's say 30 metres, if you introduce a 4 m vertical bit in the piping network, the overall distance will be reduced to may be 20 metres.

What I am saying is you have to do some maths to work out if the pump will work in relation to your planned installation. If not, you may have to go for a larger pump. If that makes sense.[/quote]

Yes, indeed, I think we are going to have to go for a more powerful pump, as the vertical distance from the sink to the loft floor is around 6.5 metres. But from there into the loft, where the 100mm bathroom waste pipe is located, is around a 7 metre span along the loft floor, but that would cause the least disruption to the tenant in the cottage.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]If you go the pump route (the picture you showed is not dissimilar to ours) remember that if it can pump a distance of let's say 30 metres, if you introduce a 4 m vertical bit in the piping network, the overall distance will be reduced to may be 20 metres. [/quote]

It doesnt happen often but words fail me [8-)]

I've installed a Saniflo broyeur and can vouch for the efficiency of their pumps and the use of 32mm piping makes the job easier to hide.

https://tinyurl.com/yb5ovyd2 (instructions)

I looked at the installation instructions for the Sanivite (grey water pump) and the horizontal distance reduces tremendously for each vertical metre pumped upwards (NB max 5m), and as already pointed out there needs to be a fall of 1% in the horizontal run which is in 40mm dia. Also I would avoid simply connecting to an existing small diameter waste pipe because of the pressure (blow back elsewhere) and/or syphoning (emptying the u-bend). Connect to a large 110mm pipe instead.

[quote user="woolybanana"]If you are in an area where there are power cuts, remember the pump will stop so the sink will be out of action for a while. This could cause some waste water to flow back into the sink, I guess. Users of said sink will need to be told this.[/quote]

Thank you. We very rarely get a power cut actually, if we do it tends to be just for moments and quickly back on. But good to bear in mind.