Roofing materials

Gyn_Paul

Any of you have suggestions as to suitable materials for a replacement conservatory roof?

We currently have a conservatory of about 8m x 4m (8 being width) with plastic roofing on the lower 3m, and metal panels on the upper part.

Being west facing, we've decided it's too hot with even this much transparent roof, so want to replace the lot with one continuous material, insulate it, and finish with a proper plasterboard ceiling..

The big problem is that it slope is only about 30 degrees, and faces the prevailing weather.

I would have thought this too little for tuiles mechanique (BA13) and the cement slates in black would have too great a thermal gain.

Above this is the house roof with those diamond 'slates' below which is 11-couche foil insulation, and 60mm of extruded polystyrene, and it's UNBELIEVABLY hot in the loft in summer, so 'nothing black' is the OH's instruction !  

Any thoughts?

I saw a product the other day, its a water filled manifold with tiles on the front and used to heat the water for hot water. Doesn't look any different when installed to normal slate roof.

If you wanted light into the room, gas filled triple glazing?

Although the 60mm of extruded polystyrene isn't enough I wonder what it would be like without that and the multifoil?

I can make a pretty good guess what ir would be like, as it had no insulation in it when we bought the place, and 80-odd years of heat had almost charred the rafters: ordinary pine, shrunken and twisted, very dark brown/black (worse on the west face than the east) and about as hard as lignum vitae or ebony.

When I insulated and lined the roof, I took the prob of an indoor/outdoor thermometer and wedged it between slates, so I can now see the temp difference between the tiles and the room inside. This summer, it's frequently been as hot as 35 - 38C in the loft, but outside? Well the range goes up to 69.9C and after that it just says 'hhhh' which is what it frequently showed.

I also managed to give myself an actual burn when I opened a velux, and put my hand on the metal flashing !

Could you find a link to this solar water heater?  Sounds interesting.

Tôle bac acier isolé then laine de verre then the placo, that is what I have over my lounge and bedroom, it is significantly cooler than the kitchen and bathroom that have plain bac acier over the laine de verre, the outside dépendances are just bac acier and they are sweatboxes.

In the UK I had roofing felt over OSB then laine de verre revêtue, I changed it last year for bardeaux bitumés but wasnt there in summer to see if it was any cooler, given I chose the colour ardoise then I doubt it. The building is a wooden conservatory and the bardeaux do look superb on that type of construction so aesthetically its a thumbs up but not sure on the thermal insulation.

I think the trick is to get an airgap, a loft or vide between the roof covering and the placo. 

My thoughts exactly!  Just putting on a new tiled roof, wishing now it was slate and I would have waited to fit that. I have wondered for years why its not done. Keeps the roof space cooler, and utilities a good area for solar collection to heat water, should be law/Normes.

I think metal roofing is one of the most reliable roofing materials that you can get.They are resistant to extreme weather conditions and are lightweight,long lasting and easily recyclable.They are mainly available in two types panels and shingles.You could either replace it on your own or hire any professionals to do it for you.Either way you might come across a lot of waste so it is better to clear out the waste as soon as you can.Here is an interesting blog from rbc clean that mentioned some tips on how to clean up after a renovation ([url]http://www.rbcclean.com/blog/cleaning-tips/5-tips-for-cleaning-after-home-renovations/[/url]) I found it useful when I was getting my renovation done,I hope that you do to.

• 1 year later...
You reckon Justinbelte, most roofers stick to what they know and have used so rather than pushing newer products you get the same old ideas.  It's often the same with trades, they learn how to do something quickly and cheaply and stick to doing it. Change means thinking about something new so until they have seen the others do it they don't change.