Concrete Barn floor

Debbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a large barn and was hoping you fantastic people may help with my barn floor. So the barn at the moment is concrete, half of it is flat and quite level, the other half has the slopes for the waste to drain into the middle also in concrete, I might add in good condition, is it advisable to dig and and start again, clearly a massive amount of work or can I get away with putting insulation and re surfacing with fresh concrete?

Look forward to you comments and thanks in advance.

Debbie

It's unlikely that there will be insulation or indeed damp proofing below the existing floor. If there is head room then you could well start from the existing floor. ALBF's suggestion of self levelling compound might prove very expensive if the falls are anything like I imagine they are.

Yes, I hear what your saying, I have done this before not in a barn. We laid all the pipework and electrics first, boxed them in, and I mean boxed them in, my plumber was obsessed about it, using same guy this time. We then laid insulation and then screed, worked fine but I don't want to risk damp raising if this didn't work in a barn

Not really sure if asking about another forum is appropriate but if you use google there is a wealth of information out there. There is lots of info on this forum already if you are already builder savvy. .

I quickly did "a google" and found this:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20171211/french-property-blog-how-to-convert-a-barn-into-your-dream-home

Was amused by the description of the third barn that was for sale. It has a flat garden that slopes down to the road and has good views!!! A bit like your floor atm?

Its not a task that is to be taken lightly and from comments and experience of people we know it will rarely be cost effective if that is your aim. You will have a house to your taste though.

I have to agree with Richard about not expecting to come out of the conversion with a "profit". One of our two building that we converted was a small barn. I reckon it must have cost €2000/m sq. to a good but certainly not luxurious standard. If we sold I would expect to roughly get back the conversion cost but not the purchase price, but we have no intentions to sell because it does give us pretty much exactly what we want.

Thanks again for any reply's, it's appreciated. I think I'm going with my eyes open, I have research this before about the value of renovating a french property, For me this is probably my last port of call and I'm doing it for me, to enable me to have a bit of land and a nice home hopefully!!

I'm definitely not looking to make a profit :)