EDF meter & cable replacement

joidevie

Hello..

Does anyone know what EDF's policy is regarding replacing a very old blue electricity meter with a new one, possibly with the facility of meter reading from outside the house? And also the thick main cable which runs from their supply in the street outside, down the facade of our house and then into the meter?

It's all very old (but functions)..

Are they amenable to doing this, and is it at their cost?

Many thanks!

The meter is the responsibility of ENEDIS (EDF is just one of many suppliers of electricity).

ENEDIS are in the process of replacing old meters with LINKY smart meters. You can check to see when yours is likely to be replaced in the LINKY web site The LINKY meters will report your readings automatically over the electricity network. They will eliminate the expense of meters (or outside boxes) being read manually.

Unless you really need it to be replaced earlier than scheduled, e.g. because there is a problem, you could just wait for a LINKY to be installed.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="pomme"]The LINKY meters will report your readings automatically over the electricity network.

[/quote]

Not quite. The Linky meters might one day report the readings automatically over the electricity network or wireless.  I've had one installed more than a year ago and my Linky, like all the others in this area,  is not communicating as there is no network in place to communicate with.

Currently my 'intelligent' meter is even more dumb than the old one because the old one could be read electronically with a device. Now they have to open the box to manually read the numbers.