Electrical Question

mattjazz

Hi, I have recently bought the property next to mine with a view to making it one house. I only want to have one electrical feed so would like to run a feed from my fuse board to the one next door.

my question is what size disjoncteur would I need as I can only find a 32a which is the same as the one for a cooker. will this be man enough or will it keep tripping.

thanks

Matt

Well it all depends on what you are expecting to run on the feed you are putting into the next door house.

It does sound to me like a strange way of doing things and without wanting to be disrespectful or rude, asking such a question strongly suggests that you should get a professional to do the work. Electricity takes no prisoners when it is incorrectly installed.

I'm not actually doing the work but a mate from the UK who is an electrician is. I wanted to get the materials bought and the cable in place before he arrives to save time.

He has told me I need a 64a feed to avoid overloading, but as I can't find one, I thought I would ask on here for a bit of advice.

Cheers

Matt

If you are feeding off your existing tableau then you don't need a single feed, you need several feeds - one for each "circuit" to the other house.

The question will be, does your existing house have sufficient supply for all that you want in the new house, on top of what your current demand is.

For example you might just need 3KW for the extension, but if your existing supply is just coping with your demand then you might need to upgrade your current supply.

To try and put this into context.

If the extension house has for the sake of agreement:

1 x 10KW "circuit" for upstairs lighting

1 x 10kW "circuit" for downstairs lighting

1 x 16KW for sockets

1 x 32kW for kitchen appliances

Then you will need to think about installing on your old house tableau

1 x 10KW "circuit" for upstairs lighting

1 x 10kW "circuit" for downstairs lighting

1 x 16KW for sockets

Whether you need the 32KW connection will depend on what you intend to do about heavy usage items in the extension - duplicate kitchen or utility room for washer and dryer then you need it, but if the old kitchen becomes a living room then possibly not.

This is not a case of running a high KW feed from the old tableau to the extension tableau, although a qualified electrician might be able to bridge from one feed to the other feed - but then no breakers are needed.

Hope your mate has done his homework. Several differences. There is a maximum single phase supply.

https://www-installation--renovation--electrique-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.installation-renovation-electrique.com/le-disjoncteur-de-branchement-edf-tout-savoir/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.installation-renovation-electrique.com%2Fle-disjoncteur-de-branchement-edf-tout-savoir%2F

With due respect to your expert, 64 amps through a mains connecting wire, let alone a malfunctioning piece of equipment, is somewhat high!

Re think.

Edit - Oops - sorry misread - 32 will probably trip, but, hey do you want to be safe. Andy is definitely someone to take note of.

Having looked at my EDF bill, I have a 6KVA supply. Once the two houses are made into 1, I will only be adding 2 bedrooms and a utility room(washer/drier) to what I have now which is 2 bedrooms, bathroom, lounge and kitchen. will the existing supply I have now be sufficient to run of the one feed.

cheers

Matt

Washer and dryer are likely to push you over the 6KW - unless you are just relocating them from the existing bit to the new bit.

While I understand your reaction, it is important to know that while the physics of electrical currents are the same in the UK and France, the ways of dealing with that and provide a safe supply are very, very different. There are real dangers of electricians trained in one country will apply their methods and provide an unsafe installation.

Maybe your tame UK sparky knows the difference, knows what they need to do to get a job signed off properly in France, AND that is why asked.

France is NOT the UK, there are endless differences in everyday life and some things need to be relearned the french way, that is all there is to it.

Getting bad tempered with me is water off a ducks back, but you want a french house rewiring and sorting to suit your needs, do it the french way. And that is the BEST ADVICE I or anyone else can give you.

[quote user="mattjazz"]Do you know what? Forget it.

If I am wrong for trying to understand what it is that I will probably be asking a French electrician to do then shoot me. If not, sod off and pick holes in someone else.[/quote]

Wind your neck in or you won't last long in France, as frustrating as it is beautiful.

If you currently have 6kw you can have that increased to 9,12 etc as my last post gave a link to some info. When anyone posts on a forum they hardly ever give the whole picture to start with so the information is nearly always different to later information when the picture becomes clearer.

So you will just be adding 2 bedrooms and a utility room? You will still have sockets, lights etc that will need to be transferred from the old panel to the new.

Being an old property you should adopt the latest norms in the re wire but it's not compulsory, yes when you sell whatever the latest norms at the time are will be applied so likely as not you won't comply then anyway.

Just make sure you get the guides on French wiring to make sure your friend follows it as closely as possible.

[quote user="mattjazz"]I'm not actually doing the work but a mate from the UK who is an electrician is. I wanted to get the materials bought and the cable in place before he arrives to save time.

He has told me I need a 64a feed to avoid overloading, but as I can't find one, I thought I would ask on here for a bit of advice.

Cheers

Matt[/quote]

I was wondering if I had misread/misremembered but the OP does say that a spark from the UK, doesn't say what nationality that sparky is though...... [blink]......maybe they do know french electrics.