Ceiling light fitting in old apartment

Chocfish

Hi all

I just know I'm going to get told off and not to fiddle with the electrics... believe me, I agree entirely, and promise not to do anything foolhardy with any information that y'all can share with me.

I live in an old apartment. It's rented, we've been here for 10 years. The electrics are old: although the fuse box has been updated (it's not the old wood board / ceramic fuses at least) but I am sure that most of the cabling is original or at least very old.

None of the ceiling lights have any kind of fitting around them. They are just a hole cut in the plaster, with a very old hard cable (usually wrapped with insulating tape or disintegrating cloth) hanging out for the bulb to be attached. Mostly they have a big metal hook, presumably where a chain is meant to attach a heavy light (chandeliers I presume). We haven't attempted to put anything other than a bulb and an IKEA paper lampshade on them so far. I'm a bit fed up of looking at these after 10 years ;-)

The one in the hall seems to have lost its hook at some point in the past. So there's nothing hold the bulb and shade up other than the cable itself. What I'm wondering is whether there is any easy way to convert them to something that will take a modern lampshade? Would the old cabling need to be replaced or can it be incorporated into a more modern fitting? And could this be removed if we ever leave, presuming that the owners actually like the old style fittings?

Cheers for any info.

[quote user="Chocfish"]What I'm wondering is whether there is any easy way to convert them to something that will take a modern lampshade? Would the old cabling need to be replaced or can it be incorporated into a more modern fitting? And could this be removed if we ever leave, presuming that the owners actually like the old style fittings?

Cheers for any info.[/quote]

New light fittings are required to be fitted to a removable fitting, that means it's easy to take away your light whilst leaving the modern fitting as a plug in for who ever comes after.

Whether you feel confident and it doesn't sound like you are. Then an electrician should be able to fit this easily for you.

Lol I'm not planning to do anything other than project manage ;-) I'm not sure, but I suspect that the ceiling will be made of whatever the early 1900's version of plasterboard is... the walls are a skim layer of plaster then what seems to be solid stone ;-)

I'm in the 6eme... are you in Lyon too?