Log splitters

JandM

I'm thinking about buying an electric log splitter,  and am wondering where to start.

It's for domestic use only, mainly for the oak branches I take  from trees on my own land - maximum thickness probably about 30 cms, usually less than that.

I don't know anybody who uses one, so am a bit stuck for comment or advice. Has anyone on this forum got any experience of buying a log splitter, to help get me started? Comments appreciated.

Yes and no I have flirted with getting one but neighbours have and I still enjoy swinging an axe. I managed to split metre long logs of about half a metre diameter with a log grenade metal wedge and sledge hammer....I did however also break my scaphoid! long story lol

The only place that I've seen them for sale is in Leroy Merlin - around €200 from memory. You'll find them on their website or see them in a store.

Since coming over here, I've managed with a 'pile-driver' manual thingy, which is hardish work, but quite effective and good for the muscles! For the number of logs that I need to split, it suits me fine.

However, as Father Time catches up on me, I probably should be looking at something a little less arduous, so I too would be interested in somebody else's experience. 

When our French neighbour saw me starting to split some logs last year he came round and offered me the use of his splitter. It was a right beast, very heavy, which took some manouvering to get it from his house to ours.  It was a Woodline WL8 with and electric motor. I believe it generates a force of 8 tons. Absolutely brilliant and made easy work of the job.

I have one; I bought it with a load of logs that a friend was clearing out having changed to a wood pellet burner.

The splitter (fendeuse) has an electrically driven hydraulic pump. It looks a bit like this one:

[IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k611/basstrom79/forum%20pics/fendeuse20petite.jpg[/IMG]

It's very heavy but the wheels make it easy to move around. 5 tonnes force.

I've seen similar ones to mine in those little catalogues for "Outiror" (and others) the big lorries loaded with tools which come round every couple of months.

Mine only takes logs of 56cms, from memory, but as I buy my wood cut to 50cms that works out fine. The larger model has higher force (8 tonnes?) and takes slightly longer logs.

It works very well, and I've been able to split a pile of old logs which previously resited my attempts with the axe; those logs with huge knots and odd shapes which I would otherwise have to slice up with the chainsaw. The only maintenance apart form cleaning is to top-up the hydraulic fluid from time to time although I haven't needed to yet after 2 winter's fuel.

I paid 125€ for mine secondhand and it's been an absolute bargain.

The artistry of blatting a lump of wood and using three wedges will be lost to the World..I think log splitting may help me to deal with 'Issues' ;-) gurrrrrrr

While thinking about it...a 2000watt motor into a 1600watt supply may not go...worth checking how much wriggly stuff is in your wires before investing?

There's loads of 'home made' log splitter videos on you tube if you take a look....satisfyingly dangerous ...some of them!

Just for amusement I have a photo of my neighbour's log splitter. The hydraulic ram is taken from the landing gear of a Caravel jet plane which for some bizarre reason happened to be in the yard of a local scrap merchant.

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/mikornisey/logsplitter.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="sid"]

I have one; I bought it with a load of logs that a friend was clearing out having changed to a wood pellet burner.

The splitter (fendeuse) has an electrically driven hydraulic pump. It looks a bit like this one:

[IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k611/basstrom79/forum%20pics/fendeuse20petite.jpg[/IMG]

It's very heavy but the wheels make it easy to move around. 5 tonnes force.

I've seen similar ones to mine in those little catalogues for "Outiror" (and others) the big lorries loaded with tools which come round every couple of months.

Mine only takes logs of 56cms, from memory, but as I buy my wood cut to 50cms that works out fine. The larger model has higher force (8 tonnes?) and takes slightly longer logs.

It works very well, and I've been able to split a pile of old logs which previously resited my attempts with the axe; those logs with huge knots and odd shapes which I would otherwise have to slice up with the chainsaw. The only maintenance apart form cleaning is to top-up the hydraulic fluid from time to time although I haven't needed to yet after 2 winter's fuel.

I paid 125€ for mine secondhand and it's been an absolute bargain.

[/quote]

We have one like this but would seriously recommend getting a similar one with long legs to bring the splitter part up to a sensible height. It can be back-breaking splitting a load of logs if you have to do it at ground level.

Thanks one and all -  really useful stuff. I'd been thinking of getting one that's low to the ground, because it's less effort to lift the log onto them, but hadn't thought of the bending down aspect. As for the health and fitness benefits of using an axe and wedges, perhaps I'll still use these when the weather's OK!

The cheapest new model I've seen is from Castorama's 1er Prix range, at EUR 159.00 I think. It's cheap, but the specifications and metal castings etc look identical to the ones sitting next to it with a different brand badge, that cost EUR 100.00 more - makes me think they're made in the same Chinese factory only painted a different colour.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

The artistry of blatting a lump of wood and using three wedges will be lost to the World..I think log splitting may help me to deal with 'Issues' ;-) gurrrrrrr

While thinking about it...a 2000watt motor into a 1600watt supply may not go...worth checking how much wriggly stuff is in your wires before investing?

There's loads of 'home made' log splitter videos on you tube if you take a look....satisfyingly dangerous ...some of them!

[/quote]

You have power sockets with only 7A ? [blink]

[quote user="Mik from LA"]Just for amusement I have a photo of my neighbour's log splitter. The hydraulic ram is taken from the landing gear of a Caravel jet plane which for some bizarre reason happened to be in the yard of a local scrap merchant.

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/mikornisey/logsplitter.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Ooops, meant this one.

We have one that looks very much like the one sid shows in the photo. The first one broke after a few months use and Bricomarché replaced it with no hassle at all. The replacement model was a more powerful version of the previous one bearing the label ZYWT. The part that broke was a cast iron section of the carriage and may of been due to one or two logs having angled end faces i.e. not at 90 degrees to the ram or it could just have been a weak casting........................JR

PS Ours is mounted on an old coffee table, no bending required.

• 7 years later...
Good day!!!

Please tell me where you can get a wood splitter. I found many companies on the Internet , but I can’t choose.

Do you have one? And if so, where and how did you get it, do you consider it a useful thing.https://polesawguide.com/reviews/best-log-splitters/

[quote user="tinabee"] ...................................We have one like this but would seriously recommend getting a similar one with long legs to bring the splitter part up to a sensible height. It can be back-breaking splitting a load of logs if you have to do it at ground level. [/quote]

Would it not be possible to use it in a vertical position?

Emmyhenk, if you live in France and really want a log splitter, you will be more likely to find what you want on Leboncoin than on an American comparison site.