re: Remove old oil tank

Hello all,

I am renovating part of a holiday home in La Compote (near Chambery, Lescheraines area), and there is a part of one room that houses an old steel oil tank, which is now disconnected as we have a plastic tank in the cellar instead.

I am going to be removing all the surrounding brickwork to be able to get to the old tank.... and then will need to remove it.

I am trying to figure out ways to get rid of the thing... and I know that of course cutting it with an angle grinder is dangerous.... I have asked a local to see if he can speak to a farmer to see if they could help remove with a tractor, but that may not work out.

What have others done in the past? Does anyone know if there is actually a type of service for removing oil tanks, or companies that might want to take it away?

Regards,

Ben

Two live links there.

The first mentions ' l’article 28 de l’Arrêté du 24 juillet 2004'
as you cannot just get it out and cut it up. 

The second is a list of places that clean the things and probably will be able to help you find where you can make sure it is inert and dispose of it.  Many are quite local to you.

I have good friends in the Bauges, would be awful to hear of an explosion, and I would suppose that that is the reason there are laws about getting rid of them.