Where to buy oak flooring

Sue B

After the flood we replaced our parquet with pine .. varnished with a clear varnish, cost about the same as re-parqueting. After a year, it has "darkened, ie aged, nicely, looking nothing like the pine underneath.  Why pay more for oak ... all these types of flooring products are widely available in bricos ...

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone and happy New Year.

If OP want oak, why would she go for a cheaper alternative ..... ??

I sourced a lovely local 22mm thick oak from my local sawmill. It came (at my request) in 3 various widths that added to the character of the house. It wasn't cheap at €39.60/m2 inc.VAT but I promised myself we wouldn't be cutting corners when renovating this house.

Once fitted, I applied 3 coats of "Vitrificateur Blanchon", the new type that doesn't smell (having sanded lightly after the 2nd coat).

There is about 110m2 of the stuff and I must say, it looks stunning.

Friend and I laid a 60 sq meter oak floor a couple of years ago. Hard work as the oak, dried at a local saw yard, came in various lengths which had to be sorted before laying. It was well dried, tounge and groved, secret nailed then oil finish. Still looks good.

• 1 year later...
To not get a reply to the answers given to an OP's question is, regrettably, the norm.

On the plus side, the various answers given generate their own conversation as the regular contributors get to gallop around on their own particular hobby horse. By the end of the second page the answers often have nothing to do with the question!!

Life on the Forum