Water Bill

lh

Not sure this is the right section, but we've just had a water bill from Veolia entitled Facture d'arret de compte. This follows me providing a meter reading lower than the previous estimate Veolia used. It's a holiday home and we didn't visit last year so haven't used water. I'm concerned that arret might mean they are closing the account and cutting off the water. Can anyone help?

lh wrote the following post at 10 Feb 2021 13:10:

.. we've just had a water bill from Veolia entitled Facture d'arret de compte. This follows me providing a meter reading lower than the previous estimate Veolia used.

You (or someone who speaks good French) needs to ring Veolia and discuss this .. just to make matters clear to them.

In my (possibly jaundiced) view they might be suspicious that smthg odd is going on .. they know nothing about you so it would be good to let them know why you believe their estimate is too high.

Email is an excellent idea too .. as then you both have a written record of any exchange of views.

We have Veolia too.  Do you have an online account?  If so, you can review all your details there (factures, contract, profile).  There is also a portal to contact their customer service.

If you haven't set up an online account, it is very easy and helpful.

Thanks for the replies - it was the word arret that had me worried as my first instinct was 'stop' but it makes sense that this is a look at the account at a moment in time, as suggested.  I will try to set up an online account and see if that helps.

lh wrote the following post at 10 Feb 2021 20:02:

Thanks for the replies - it was the word arret that had me worried as my first instinct was 'stop'

What worries me is .. you mentioned 'arrêt' .. which is stop.

As Norman says arrêté can mean statement .. but it also means the procedure of looking at something before stopping it.

I would act as soon as you can either online or by email to clarify the situation.

I agree with Sue56. The best way out is to contact them by phone (contact details on the document you received). If your French isn't up to it, do find someone who can explain your situation clearly (nothing worse than someone trying to explain such a serious situation in broken French).