And you thought CA were bad......

Coco

I have just spent an incredibly frustrating half an hour on the phone to Barclays.

First of all I asked to be put through to the international section to make a telegraphic transfer. I was put through to the Thomas Cook Travel Shop with an electronic menu option of package holidays or flights only.

After redialling, because they coldn't transfer me, I was put through to International, where I was told that instead of telegraphic transfer I could do a low value transfer, which would cost be 10 total to cover costs at both ends, instead of the usual 20 from Barclays and 10 from CA. They've never bothered to tell me of this option in the past, even though this service has apparently been available for a long time.

I was then passed to a lady who point blank refused to deal with me because I was phoning from the UK. Had I said I was in France she could have helped me!!!!! Instead I was told to go into my nearest Barclays and fill out a form. I told her I had never had to do this before and I was told I SHOULD have.

I hung up and tried again. This time a seemingly helpful young man who said, yes, if I had my RIB details I COULD do it over the phone, and as a low value transfer. He took all my details, until he got to the name of the account in France.
"Oh dear, you're transferring from your own account in the UK to a joint account with your husband in France, can't be done".
"But I've done it before"
"Well you SHOULDN'T have, you'll have to go into a branch and put it in writing"

Now where is the logic in that? I can't transfer from an account solely in my name, to another account in my name, which my husband can also draw on. Now if it was the other way round I could understand it!

I then asked if it would be possible to do this over the phone or on the internet via my electronic savings account with Barclays.
"No madam, you would have to go into your branch"
"And which branch would that be, it's an electronic account, there isn't a branch".
"Well then Madam you can't transfer from that account"
"So what's the point of an electronic account?"
"I don't know madam"
"Well if I can't transfer electronically or over the phone I will have to close my account."
"OK madam".

SCREEEAAAAMMMMMMM........................

Sometimes I wonder why these institutions set up such things as telephone or internet banking - all I seem to be able to do is transfer between my Barclays accounts or look at my statements on line.

Anyone know of a bank who will let you do it online or over the phone? Have I just been lucky when I've done it in the past?

Coco

First Direct will let you do it over the 'phone but charge more than HSBC. They also gave Isabel the extra charge(15 versus 9) back when Isabel complained that it cost her more. Once I had sent in the first LVCB transfer my HSBC ( Midland as was ) Bank did make a transfer on the basis of a phone call and the promise off a confirming letter despite Isabel's name being so long that mine effectively disappears off the end of the joint account name.

Hi Coco

We have both joint and sole accounts with smile in the UK and a joint account with CA(!). I have frequently made transfers, by a simple e-mailed instruction from the smile website, to our french account. They say it can take up to a week, but on occasions it has been through in two days. I can check both accounts on-line which makes it ideal for us. Is that what you're looking for? I can't recommend smile highly enough - we've had no problems with them at all.

Liz

I have dealt with a number of English banks over the years and have gradually got frustrated with their lack of customer awareness, so about three years ago I opened an account with Smile and have never looked back!!
I think they are brilliant, interest on current account, regular transfers of money to my account with CA by Tipanet for 8, all instructions done through the web site by secure message, and total control over MY money 24hrs a day.

>"Well you SHOULDN'T have, you'll have
>to go into a branch
>and put it in writing"
>
>
>Now where is the logic in
>that?

I am not surprised. My bank requires a signed mandate (which I won't give them) to allow any transfers to be made by phone. And even if they have the mandate they won't make transfers to any account that isn't in the sole name of the sender unless they have prior written confirmation. Surely the reason for this is obvious? Anybody with your bank details could ring them and transfer the entire contents of your account and you would be none the wiser until you got your statement.
I wouldn't use a bank that allowed transfers to be made willy-nilly on phone instructions.

I have used HIFX for larger amounts and have been very happy.
However, small amounts did pose a problem and Natwest in the UK seemed only to allow transfers if you went into your branch and did the required paperwork.
I asked if I could do it by fax, from UK or France, and they got me to sign a fax indemnity and gave me the format with which to send a transfer request.
I have yet to do it by this method, but if it works I will keep you posted!